Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way to open the rear window from inside and while the engine is running?

·
Super Moderator
14,936 Posts
Nope......

·
Super Moderator
14,936 Posts
I would like to see them put in an electric window that retracts down into the liftgate.

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
Rocks? 890

·
Registered
216 Posts
PolarBZ said:
Rocks? 890
Yeah, throw a couple and your rear window will open!! lol I wish I could open it, too. If your car is started you can't use the key fob switch. I like my Sequoia with a window switch where I can roll it up/down.

·
Registered
282 Posts
noticed this the other day as well. im sitting in the jeep and wife walks to the rear and i tried to open the window and no luck. i noticed things shift when driving and would like the window to open instead of having to open the gate because stuff will fall out. need to ask on the next engineering chat

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
penguin said:

I don't do this with a wife ,,!! ,,, and the Commander is my second wife ;) .... except when I go off-road !! where I sow no mercy :eek:

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
jeep5253 said:
I would like to see them put in an electric window that retracts down into the liftgate.
Well, I prefer it like this, I think it is more reliable over time.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
samax8 said:
Keeps your kids from escaping out the back?

What the hell you are doing with your kids inside !!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
ahmed255 said:
Well, I prefer it like this, I think it is more reliable over time.
I agree with you. I had wondered about the opening from inside but figured it might be a safety issue for the 3rd row seat passengers. Yes there are a few of us that actually use them. My little niece's sit there on trips. Nephews are like their Uncle, me, just to bigggg. :cool:

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I think it is a safety issue, The exhaust would go up and in the window while driving if some driver wanted to leave the window open to haul long items or not run his/her AC in a failed attempt to save gas.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Kerwin said:
I agree with you. I had wondered about the opening from inside but figured it might be a safety issue for the 3rd row seat passengers. Yes there are a few of us that actually use them. My little niece's sit there on trips. Nephews are like their Uncle, me, just to bigggg. :cool:
What about the Grand Cherokee, it doesn't have a third row. is it possible there to open the rear window while the engine is running?

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
a49erFootballFan said:
I think it is a safety issue, The exhaust would go up and in the window while driving if some driver wanted to leave the window open to haul long items or not run his/her AC in a failed attempt to save gas.
But this action will not be stopped by preventing the rear window to be opened while the key is in ignition !!

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
ahmed255 said:
But this action will not be stopped by preventing the rear window to be opened while the key is in ignition !!
It's a PHD thing. The government trying to protect us. Yes, it can be done, but you have to work for it and our protectors do not want the window to "accidently" open while you are driving. So you have to get out and open the window. I dont want it to accidentally open either...

(PHD= Push Here Dummy) Supposed to make you think before you act.

The old stationwagons and I think the toyota LC has an electric roll down window.....wonder if it is because the glass flips up, creating a scooping action which forces the Co or CO2 into the back of the vehicle. The roll down may not.

BTW: hope jeep5253 makes it back online soon.

·
Registered
216 Posts
It's not a PHD thing. Plenty of automakers have vehicles where you can roll the window up/down from the vehicle while it is moving. My Sequoia does it. It's a Jeep thing.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Do you really want to open a window that can't close itself while in motion? People are so lazy these days, they want everything motorized and automatic.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
penguin said:
It's not a PHD thing. Plenty of automakers have vehicles where you can roll the window up/down from the vehicle while it is moving. My Sequoia does it. It's a Jeep thing.
Hey hoser...look, did you see the part that said the open hatch acts like a scoop? It is different when the window rolls down as opposed to flipping up which can force the air back into the vehicle.

Yes, it can be done, but you have to work at it.

Dont post in my thread again.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
ahmed255 said:
Is there any way to open the rear window from inside and while the engine is running?
Yes, just hit the power rear window button on the dash and the window will drop down inside the liftgate. Oh....thought I was on the 4Runner forum for a moment;)

Just kidding...but seriously, this is one of my favorite features that I wouldn't want to live without! I drive with my rear window down all the time in nice weather.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts