Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, My XK is my wife and I's "driving vacation" vehicle and our run around town on the weekends rig. It is not a primary vehicle for either of us, but a great rig to throw the dogs in and head off for a week. It has been a great SUV for its use for a couple of years now, but my eyes have started wandering! After looking at many replacement vehicles over the past few weeks, I keep coming back to the Commander, but it still has two big issues that need to be worked out ...........

Specs: '06 XK, 4.7L, AWD, 168K miles

1st: It has had this issue ever since I started driving it probably 6+ years ago (my brother and I bought it for our mom and I would borrow it for vacations); if I floor it, and it goes above 4-4.5K rpm, it bogs down, stumbles, shakes, sometimes metal noises, all h3ll breaks loose! To be honest, it has enough juice up to 4k to get into traffic and accelerate just fine. I just never give it more than about half foot pedal, and all is good. It is not an issue at all for 90% of driving, but it doesn't change the fact that it is an issue and I still have a couple of grand of engine rpm left that I can't use.

I have replaced the usual suspects over the past couple of years; plugs, wires, coils, injectors, other things I can't think of now. I have no codes. It idles just barely slightly rough, but other than that, it runs like a champ throughout its range up to 4000. Fuel pressure is good at the rail at idle. I know TPS is a culprit, and I did put a cheap one in last year, although a lot of people say OEM only, and no change.

I have a fuel pump with housing and strainer on order.

2nd: It did not like pulling our boat. Combined boat / trailer weight should be about 4600lb, and I tested pulling it once around on side roads up to 45mph, and it did not seem to have an issue. But during the next test, I put it on the interstate and within a couple of miles, my wife and I could both smell a burning smell, especially after pulling off. The trailer was fine as I pull it with my Tacoma all the time. It smelled like the trans was slipping and couldn't handle it. As far as I know, the trans has probably never been serviced, and I have filters sitting around that I have never installed. But could a fluid change with new filters really save a transmission?

So, I know that is generic and not helpful, but where should I go from here?

Thanks
Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Tire Wheel Land vehicle

·
Registered
2006 Limited 5.7 QDll 142k miles
162 Posts
It looks great! Keep it and just fix that transmission/trailering issue... and that first issue too. Why replace it with something else that will cost more $$$ when the dogs are just going to trash it? I've had mine since 06 and can't seem to part with it. LOL!!

Reactions: XKJeepFan

·
Registered
2006, 4.7L, 4x4, purchased @121k mi.
11 Posts
Just traded my BMW in for one of these things, of similar spec as yours, also with similar transmission issues. Except mine gets locked into 3rd gear on occasion, and requires shutting the rig off, then turning it back on to clear and drive like normal (for a little while). Just ordered the service kit which includes new filters, gaskets, and solenoid pack - so next weekend things should be nominal.

From what I understand, these vehicles are a huge pain in the ass (even compared to other Jeeps), but at the end of the day - they're going to be cheaper to maintain, easier (generally) to work on, and parts will almost always be easier to find.

My suggestion? Even if you have to drop another $1,500-$2,000 into it... that's still cheaper than buying a $3,000 pig that's going to have problems from day one.

Your ride looks clean - and all the stuff under the hood can be fixed / replaced, for likely less than a new rig. Just my $0.02.

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
Just traded my BMW in for one of these things, of similar spec as yours, also with similar transmission issues. Except mine gets locked into 3rd gear on occasion, and requires shutting the rig off, then turning it back on to clear and drive like normal (for a little while). Just ordered the service kit which includes new filters, gaskets, and solenoid pack - so next weekend things should be nominal.

From what I understand, these vehicles are a huge pain in the ass (even compared to other Jeeps), but at the end of the day - they're going to be cheaper to maintain, easier (generally) to work on, and parts will almost always be easier to find.

My suggestion? Even if you have to drop another $1,500-$2,000 into it... that's still cheaper than buying a $3,000 pig that's going to have problems from day one.

Your ride looks clean - and all the stuff under the hood can be fixed / replaced, for likely less than a new rig. Just my $0.02.
@kylekruchok ;

The transmission also has, at least one sensor that controls the shifting; That could be where your getting stuck in 3rd gear problem lies.

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
Okay, My XK is my wife and I's "driving vacation" vehicle and our run around town on the weekends rig. It is not a primary vehicle for either of us, but a great rig to throw the dogs in and head off for a week. It has been a great SUV for its use for a couple of years now, but my eyes have started wandering! After looking at many replacement vehicles over the past few weeks, I keep coming back to the Commander, but it still has two big issues that need to be worked out ...........

Specs: '06 XK, 4.7L, AWD, 168K miles

1st: It has had this issue ever since I started driving it probably 6+ years ago (my brother and I bought it for our mom and I would borrow it for vacations); if I floor it, and it goes above 4-4.5K rpm, it bogs down, stumbles, shakes, sometimes metal noises, all h3ll breaks loose! To be honest, it has enough juice up to 4k to get into traffic and accelerate just fine. I just never give it more than about half foot pedal, and all is good. It is not an issue at all for 90% of driving, but it doesn't change the fact that it is an issue and I still have a couple of grand of engine rpm left that I can't use.

I have replaced the usual suspects over the past couple of years; plugs, wires, coils, injectors, other things I can't think of now. I have no codes. It idles just barely slightly rough, but other than that, it runs like a champ throughout its range up to 4000. Fuel pressure is good at the rail at idle. I know TPS is a culprit, and I did put a cheap one in last year, although a lot of people say OEM only, and no change.

I have a fuel pump with housing and strainer on order.

2nd: It did not like pulling our boat. Combined boat / trailer weight should be about 4600lb, and I tested pulling it once around on side roads up to 45mph, and it did not seem to have an issue. But during the next test, I put it on the interstate and within a couple of miles, my wife and I could both smell a burning smell, especially after pulling off. The trailer was fine as I pull it with my Tacoma all the time. It smelled like the trans was slipping and couldn't handle it. As far as I know, the trans has probably never been serviced, and I have filters sitting around that I have never installed. But could a fluid change with new filters really save a transmission?

So, I know that is generic and not helpful, but where should I go from here?

Thanks
@morrisey0;

That's a good looking XK; I'd replace that T.P.S. with a OEM Factory T.P.S. and go ahead and put that fuel pump & strainer in, when it comes in and see how she runs.

I wouldn't give up on her.

Commanders in good shape, are very difficult to find these days.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts