Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Soooo my front bumper "got messed up" lol. I need opinions.

1. Estimates on cost to fix?
2. How long will it take to fix?
3. Will the entire bumper have to be replaced?

See the pictures...you'll see it's damaged on both sides.

Attachments

·
2,248 Posts
There used to be some bumpers from forum members that have replaced their bumper with a bumper like Ross's or other aftermarket bumpers. I also think that someone is wanting a new front bumper from Doc. I had a complete front bumper and I eventually thru it into a dumpster. Ask around and you might find one.

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
There may be damage behind the bumper as well, I notice a bend in the plastic in the second photo which could mean a bend in a support bracket. The bumper is fixable but you should have someone check for more damage as well. Personally I could live with those minor damages as bumpers WILL get hit again in time.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Go ahead and take it to a shop. If you dont know which one , ask your insurance agent who they recommend or ask the service writer at your dealership. They will write it for a new bumper cover at the very least. I dont remember how much they are off the top of my head, $400 maybe. The energy absorber underneath may be damaged or maybe the reinforcement also. There is usually some hidden damage on something like that but its nothing major, just something that should be repaired properly. Think about how much your deductible is. Even if they just put a cover on it and paint it that repair is gonna be at or over $1000 bucks , Im sure. Sure, some people could live with it like it is but I think you are one who keeps her baby nice and clean so you would want to get it fixed. Good luck and let us know how it went.

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
I have seen many of the bumper covers listed on eBay from $100 to $200. My daughter was rear ended recently- very minor, they initially wrote it up as a bumber skin replacement and paint for $1,000- after removing the damaged one they found some minor damage to the support brackets and pushed the repair to $1,350. Not an XK though. Just curious- How did the other vehicle look?

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
After owning my new Commander for three months, I backed into a pole protecting a gas pump. I damaged the left rear, the part of the bumper that protrudes. 3 years ago, dealer's body shop told me it couldn't be fixed, and had to be replaced to the tune of $1,000 (part + paint!). Last spring, someone backed in to me. I had both doors on the passenger side replaced. They told me then (3 years later) that the bumper could be fixed. Thus, what I am getting to, if there is no hidden damage, I think it can be fixed without replacing the whole bumper wrap. It might be a cheaper route for you. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
After owning my new Commander for three months, I backed into a pole protecting a gas pump. I damaged the left rear, the part of the bumper that protrudes. 3 years ago, dealer's body shop told me it couldn't be fixed, and had to be replaced to the tune of $1,000 (part + paint!). Last spring, someone backed in to me. I had both doors on the passenger side replaced. They told me then (3 years later) that the bumper could be fixed. Thus, what I am getting to, if there is no hidden damage, I think it can be fixed without replacing the whole bumper wrap. It might be a cheaper route for you. Good luck.
True, any bumper cover can be repaired instead of replacing it. The issue is how much trouble and money will it cost to repair it ? A bumper is just plastic. There are products on the market to repair holes and splits in the plastic. You can do a bit with just a nice heat gun. But a tech would much rather remove it and replace it. Its faster and easier. The insurance companies would rather replace it. They know if there is a new cover installed then they wont have any problems down the road with the repair. Some shops will repair the covers but wont warranty the repair unless the cover is replaced. We repair some bumpers but only minor scrapes and such. If the cover is torn or has a hole or if the plastic is deformed very bad then we replace it. There is also the possibility of getting a used cover instead of nnew and that can save a little bit too.

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@Huey: I figured some of you guys had bumpers that can be used for others.
@9er: I thought about the damage behind the dumper, and yes...I figured alot of you guys could live with this minor damage...but you know how OCD I am!!! Lol!
@Smitty: Your analysis is good, and all the prices seem reasonable to me. Hence, I may not deal with the insurance company...may just pay out of pocket.
@MUDD: Hey, after I fix this...I may get a bumper cover. The other vehicle was white so it had two minor black dents on each side. He was okay with it...and we didn't exchange information, he was like, "Oh that's not bad." and drove off lol.
@dhh3: What a story!!!! Thanks, I'm hoping there's no damage underneath. *fingers crossed*

Thanks for all the help guys!!! :)

Can you direct me to pics of awesome bumper covers??

·
Super Moderator
14,959 Posts
@Huey: I figured some of you guys had bumpers that can be used for others.
@9er: I thought about the damage behind the dumper, and yes...I figured alot of you guys could live with this minor damage...but you know how OCD I am!!! Lol!
@Smitty: Your analysis is good, and all the prices seem reasonable to me. Hence, I may not deal with the insurance company...may just pay out of pocket.
@MUDD: Hey, after I fix this...I may get a bumper cover. The other vehicle was white so it had two minor black dents on each side. He was okay with it...and we didn't exchange information, he was like, "Oh that's not bad." and drove off lol.
@dhh3: What a story!!!! Thanks, I'm hoping there's no damage underneath. *fingers crossed*

Thanks for all the help guys!!! :)

Can you direct me to pics of awesome bumper covers??
Jill, "bumper cover" is what the part of the bumper you see is called (the part that is damaged on your Commander). I checked ebay and there are quite a few of them on there right now with a different kinds of prices. You might want to check it out.

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My other questions.

1. How long does it usually take if it DOESN'T have to be replaced?
2. If it DOES have to be replaced, how long would it take?

·
Super Moderator
14,959 Posts
My other questions.

I don't think anyone here can give you a time for repair or replace. It just depends on where you get it done and how busy they are. But replacement should be quicker than repair.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
My other questions.

That depends like stated, on how busy the shop is mainly. Lets say for instance, that the shop will replace the bumper cover and there aren't any other issues that arise. The shop can get your paint code at the same time the estimate is done. They can then order the cover and paint it before even bringing the Jeep in. You could show up and drop it off in the am and pick it back up the same day. Now thats in a perfect world but it does happen on a regular basis. Now on the other hand, at worst you're looking at 2 to 3 days.

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, thought about that too...just as long as it doesn't take a month!! haha

·
Registered
954 Posts
Hey Jill, is a front bumper guard an option? The Mopar grill guard would cover that right up AND add protection to your front end so that the next time that happens you'll see no damage, at least not on the Commander lol.

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Luv, that's a good idea! Lol...but I'm too meticulous not to get it really fixed.

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
UPDATE: So my Dad and I went to a collison center today. There was damage behind the bumper, and one of the lights was even broken...very weird. I didn't know the damage would be that bad. The total came out to be $1,319. But with insurance I'll just pay the deductible of $500. They should have it back to me by this weekend. :)

1 - 20 of 56 Posts