Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What Optima yellow top to get?

Hey guys, I need a new yellow top for a sound system im putting in, what yellow top fits the commander? And does anyone know of a good place to get a deal on them is? Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts

·
Banned
3,374 Posts
yup, lots of problems with optimas. i would pick-up something else!

luckely the Commanders come with a very nice alternator. 160 amps.(insert tim allen noises here)!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Optimas

Good thing this thread came up, I did a search and optimas do have lots of issues, I've been chasing what I thought was a drain for 3 years! which I thought killed 2 red top optimas in my other car.

Time to get a new battery other then optima!

·
Registered
156 Posts
The reality is, unless your going to drain your main battery down (which you shouldnt do) you wont need one. An optima battery is designed (a dry cell) as to be an (additional) battery that you can deplete and recharge.

You shouldnt be running your main battery down. I would suggest you buy a nice interstate battery like a mt-39 and then get a battery style capacitor.

This way, you wont be pulling off the stock altenator.
you also wont be drawing too much current when the vehicle is on.

As for the car off and playing amps etc, then, i would say go for another battery a 2nd one and series it to the main battery...
(but only if you plan on cranking it up for a period with the car off). either way you should add a capacitor to any amp over 500 watts. there cheap and easy to install.

·
Registered
122 Posts
That is true of the yellow top Wiley. It's the deep cycle battery, but the red is basically just a really beefy "regular" battery. The other main use of an Optima type battery is that it can be mounted in any direction since it's a dry cell. Also for rockcrawling it won't get messed up by extreme angles while wheeling.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Anybody installed one yet?? I'd imagine anyone using a :)lot of accessories would need some extra juice...just curious

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I had one for my TJ and plan to get one for the XK when the time comes. The yellow tops work great, I noticed an improvement right away when I had my driving lights and fog lights turned on.

·
Registered
282 Posts
dont fit right and i think the posts are opposite. looked at them when my battery died. the xk takes a funky size battery. thank goodness mine was under warranty. ive got one in my altima and like it.

·
Banned
3,374 Posts
i can't find any that fit. i'm looking for a good battery to fit. the commander has a stupid MB battery.

dont fit right and i think the posts are opposite. looked at them when my battery died. the xk takes a funky size battery. thank goodness mine was under warranty. ive got one in my altima and like it.

·
Registered
282 Posts
i checked alot of stores also. gave up when i found out it was warrantied. unusual group size.

·
Registered
577 Posts
With the issues I was having with my electronics and the battery dying 3 times this week, I was looking into an Optima battery, but I couldn't find anywhere that would stock one for my XK. That and the cost associated with a battery for the XK was incredible! Anyway, took mine in to the dealer this weekend, and they replaced the battery under warranty... so problem solved! :)

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
I tried getting one about 3 weeks ago. Though it would physically bolt in, and I found one with the posts on the 'correct' sides, the factory battery clamps won't fit. That is, the posts on the Optima are too far inboard to the edge of the battery and the Jeeps clamps are made such that they make a 90 degree bend about 1.5" or so from the post and would have to be modified (at the risk of damage) to fit an Optima. Supposedly Optima does not yet have an equivalent replacement for the XK because it is just now 3 model years old. I am told they will have one eventually.

·
Registered
953 Posts
The answer...

You know, I just couldn't believe there weren't some adapters out there to solve this Optima issue. Google is often times my best friend! ;)

Side-to-Post Terminal Adapter

"Use regular post-style terminal clamps with side terminal batteries. Bolt the adapter to your battery's side terminal, and it extends above the top of the battery to create a post terminal."

So, your answer is here: http://www.absak.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/23_146_148/products_id/592

:banana_hitit:

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I can get the optima batteries from work and they will drop them off and leave them on consignment. I will get one in and try to make it work since I don't have to pay for it unless I decide to keep it. kmax, do you have the part number of the one you found it will save me some time.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
adamag25-
I'm sorry - I don't have a part number. We just pulled batteries from the shelf until we got to one that appeared to work, until I realized the posts were too far inboard. And lekmedm - that is a good solution. I know there's not enough room to the rear of the battery. I'd have to look, but there may not be enough physical space in front of the battery to set that up, nor do I think the cables would reach. So like Ross said, you'd have to modify the battery cables and then you could get anything to work. I simply wanted to drop in a new battery, so I found the same chassis type that would drop right in.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts