Jeep Commander Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new set of tires which are basic all season tires, I had more aggressive A/T tires and the noise was annoying after a while. I've had the wheels balanced twice by a shop and it's still persistent.

What's happening is at 55 and above the steering wheel will shake like an out of balance tire but, it's not constant. The shake gradually gets more prominent then slowly goes away and everything is smooth. It does this continuously and each oscillation is a minute or two, it's only in the steering wheel. My wife in the passenger seat says the vehicle feels smooth and she doesn't notice any vibrations. I did notice this with the old tires but it wasn't as bad so I am thinking the new tires have amplified it.

2010 Sport 4x4 3.7, last year I replaced UCA, LCA, rotors and pads. I just ordered some outer tie rods since those haven't been replaced yet. I'm also wondering if out of alignment can cause this? Hands off it drives straight and no pulling to the side.

I thought I would post here and see if anyone had this issue before or might have some ideas where to look first before I start chasing my tail.

·
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
887 Posts
Keep after the tire place that balanced the tires. The problem sure seems to go with the tires. Do they use the proper balancer that mounts the wheel on it using the lug holes and not the center hole? Unless you had the problem with the old tires and could not feel it. I'm betting on the new tires and not proper balancing.
I had a set of new tires once where they were out of round causing vibrations, had to replace them. To this day I will not buy that brand again.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Keep after the tire place that balanced the tires. The problem sure seems to go with the tires. Do they use the proper balancer that mounts the wheel on it using the lug holes and not the center hole? Unless you had the problem with the old tires and could not feel it. I'm betting on the new tires and not proper balancing.
I had a set of new tires once where they were out of round causing vibrations, had to replace them. To this day I will not buy that brand again.
Yep, I just called the dealership where I bought my Commander and they said it's definitely a wheel balance issue and they use a road force balancer($90). I'm guessing this other place does not but, they did move the tires around. I can't tell by looking at the wheel what they used as I don't see any witness marks. That said, I'm willing to bet they didn't bother rebalancing and they also tried to blame the wheel spacers that I've had on for years.

The oscillation is throwing me for a loop though.

·
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
887 Posts
I always use Discount Tire and they always do a good balancing, also pretty cheap.
I just don't like their torquing of the lug nuts.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The dealer(Fields Jeep) found all four tires were out of balance and the tech said, "the weights were all over the place" and "It was so bad that the first shop would have been better off not balancing them at all." The dealer even discounted the charge because of the problem with the first shop which was above and beyond in my opinion. Finally, the original shop gave me a full refund after calling them and letting them know what happened.

Case closed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.