Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We purchased our XK earlier in October after I sold my '06 WRX. The plan was to find the wife a new DD rig and I would drive our '08 Wrangler Unlimited X. I spent many months searching and searching around Idaho for Jeeps, first we were looking at WK2 Grand Cherokees but they were just too expensive for us. After tons of convincing the wife, she decided she could like a Commander as long as it was lifted...Well awesome, I love the Commander and wanted one and knew she was going to like it and I found this beauty 250mi away.

2007 Jeep Commander Overland
5.7L HEMI
Quadradrive II
4" SuperLift
Rear airbag system
MOPAR bull bar
Tinted tails and signals

I scored and found her already lifted and equipped with airbags, DVD system, NAV, all the good stuff. Had about 74,000mi, which isn't terrible, but I gave it as good an inspection as I knew how to. The sway bar link bolt on the driver's side was loose and it made a nasty popping noise every so often...Nothing a little WD-40 and a big socket wrench couldn't fix.

The best part is I sold my car, paid off our Wrangler and now have cheaper monthly payments on the Commander, plus had enough extra cash to put the badly needed new wheels and tires on. This is a mountain Jeep, it's going to see snow, crap roads and needs to be battle ready to keep our family safe.

Before: 255/70R18 on Sahara Gladiators

After: 285/70R17 BFG Mud Terrain KM2s on Pro Comp Series 5001 17x9, 4.75" BS and 6.6 Offset

We both love the Commander a ton and argue over who gets to drive, haha. It has it's little Chrysler quirks, like they all seem to, but it's perfect for us. Hopefully it serves it's purpose for quite a while!

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
It looks great with those tires. Where are you located ?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looks great with those tires. Where are you located ?
Thanks!

We are in Idaho, about 100mi north of Boise. Quiet little ski resort town tucked up in the mountains, love it up here!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Lookin' good! Are those aftermarket PIAA's in the stock fog light cutouts?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe they are, I haven't really looked that close at them though. They are pretty bright!

·
Registered
451 Posts
I love it! I want to lift my 09 silver Hemi Limited but I tow my trail rig with it. Towing 7,000lbs with those big tires would not work out well!

Great looking rig!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Nice looking!! Great find already lifted. Got to love those BFGs. The KM2s would have been my second choice over the All Terrain. The 285/70/17 tires should be fine for towing. I have the same size on my dodge 2500 and used the 8ply ones for years until they started making them in the 10 ply.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Great looking car, can you take some more pictures from the front and back of the car, just want to see how much the outside of the tyres sticks out from the line of the flares.

Cheers

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I love it! I want to lift my 09 silver Hemi Limited but I tow my trail rig with it. Towing 7,000lbs with those big tires would not work out well!

Great looking rig!
Thanks!

Nice looking!! Great find already lifted. Got to love those BFGs. The KM2s would have been my second choice over the All Terrain. The 285/70/17 tires should be fine for towing. I have the same size on my dodge 2500 and used the 8ply ones for years until they started making them in the 10 ply.
Thank you! I feel like I scored with this rig, whatever we ended up going with was getting a lift for sure and the price + condtion of this Commander, I just couldn't say no. I love the KM2s, have the same size on my JK. Our driveway can be a real PITA in the winter, the wide spacing on the tread really grabs and gets through the snow really well. I know skinnier tires are usually better for snow, but the KM2s have performed great all year round for me. They are a little bit more noisy than the Duelers but I think it looks so much better now.

Great looking car, can you take some more pictures from the front and back of the car, just want to see how much the outside of the tyres sticks out from the line of the flares.

Cheers
Thanks! I will take some more pictures this afternoon and post em up!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Couple more pics:

I think the backspacing and offset are perfect.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
72 Posts
Looks great man. I'm always content with my +2 inch lift until I see the 4 inch lifts out there. But anyways like I said.....it looks sexy man. Feeling a little jealous. :yesnod:

·
Registered
953 Posts
Welcome to the '07 Overland SuperLift club!!! :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What are you replacing them with if you don't mind me asking?
Wife wants something lower and easier to get kids and dogs in and out of, which sort of breaks my heart because I love this Commander despite its quirks. It just looks too badass.

For myself I'm planning on getting a 2012-2014 Subaru Legacy GT sedan. I had a WRX for 3 years and loved it, feel like going back to a car again.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts