Jeep Commander Forum banner

Overheating at Idle - Please read the full post

7K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  rizzo70 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,
I am a bit puzzled about the situation. I have a 2007 Jeep commander 4.7 limited and it overheats while idling (mostly with AC on). Heat gauge goes up to 3/4 and beyond if I don't start driving or turn off the car. below are the things I've already done trying to fix the situation:

• Cooling system flushed
  • Radiator serviced
  • New coolant
  • Changed the fan clutch
  • Changed the thermostat
  • Burped the cooling system
  • Changed the serpentine belt
  • Changed the Power steering pump (pulley was weak)

Coolant is not going low, no milky stuff in the oil, no smoke coming out of the exhaust, AC works fine, Installed two electric fans as well (by the previous owner) and they turn on when AC is on. The clutch fan works fine, blowing air reasonably. I haven't changed it but looking at it, seems like the previous owner has changed the Water Pump since it looks new compared to other parts.

Please help me. I don't know what to do here. I am a mustang owner and that's my daily driver, I bought this one just to go offroad, and of course, I can't drive in speeds there so kinda very disappointed.

Thank you

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
@faisalriazkhan Welcome to the forum! Please make an introductory post in the New Member Section. Thanks.

As for you problem, the two electric fans from the previous owner are suspicious to me, because if everything was working as it should, they would be unnecessary. The two things I can think of would be significant blockage in the radiator, severely reducing its efficiency, only able to dissipate heat when the vehicle's at speed, or a water pump that's not operating properly at idle. Other than that, maybe there's still air in the system? Have you tried burping the system more than once? I know it's not ideal, but the moment you notice the temp rising above normal, if you increase the RPMs (while in park) does this slow or reduce the temp increase?

To my knowledge, there's nothing very unique about the cooling system, other than possibly the bleeder screw at the highest point in the coolant loop (photo).

Reactions: jklightner
#5 ·
Thanks, Brother. Yes, I have burped the car at least two times using that bleeder valve. Still the same case.
Two fans they turn on when the AC is on. I am also very positive that it's water pump. Because everything else has been changed. I got my radiator checked and clean and no sign of blockage or leak. Also, i couldn't find the Mopar thermostat and installed aftermarket one. It was a company called "crown" i guess. could this be a problem? Also i am not very positive that the mechanic installed the thermostat properly. He was very flimsy.

One more thing, i also couldn't find HOAT coolant form mopar so i used the generic AC Delco green one. Does this help narrow down the issue?

Today i went on a quick desert drive and it got stuck in the sand and started overheating. Bubbles in the coolant reservoir. I turned off the car, unstuck myself and when i got some speed, all good again.

#3 ·
@faisalriazkhan Welcome to the forum! Your problem seems to be a fairly common one as I have seen previous threads about it. Try using the forum search feature to help you find them.

#4 ·
Hi Guys,
I am a bit puzzled about the situation. I have a 2007 Jeep commander 4.7 limited and it overheats while idling (mostly with AC on). Heat gauge goes up to 3/4 and beyond if I don't start driving or turn off the car. below are the things I've already done trying to fix the situation:

• Cooling system flushed
  • Radiator serviced
  • New coolant
  • Changed the fan clutch
  • Changed the thermostat
  • Burped the cooling system
  • Changed the serpentine belt
  • Changed the Power steering pump (pulley was weak)
Coolant is not going low, no milky stuff in the oil, no smoke coming out of the exhaust, AC works fine, Installed two electric fans as well (by the previous owner) and they turn on when AC is on. The clutch fan works fine, blowing air reasonably. I haven't changed it but looking at it, seems like the previous owner has changed the Water Pump since it looks new compared to other parts.

Please help me. I don't know what to do here. I am a mustang owner and that's my daily driver, I bought this one just to go offroad, and of course, I can't drive in speeds there so kinda very disappointed.

Thank you
@faisalriazkhan;

Welcome to the forum;

As well as posting an introduction to the forum in the New Member Section, please read the New Member Required Reading below & complete your user profile as directed, in order to comply with the forum rules;

Thanks & welcome aboard.

#15 ·
@faisalriazkhan; This is definitely an issue; As I understand it, all Jeep Chrysler XK/XH gasoline engines, are designed to run specifically with HOAT coolant; I'd bet good money, that the AC Delco generic, green anti-freeze you put in your coolant system, doesn't meet the factory specs.
It’s not the coolant…I have the same problem with my 2007 5.7 liter hemi jeep commander…replaced thermostat, heater core, burped the coolant, I have mopar, replaced fan sensors…only thing left is radiator and mechanic says it works fine…I cannot seem to fix it…unless jeep just have bad water pumps…I’ve had two on it in just 20,000 miles…and this one has only 2000 miles and everyone is saying that’s it…when I bought it it got this problem shortly after…replaced the water pump worked fine for 10,000 miles then started problems again!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.