Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious as to how many of you are building an overland centered XK ? Aside from the typical 2-3" lift, tires, rack etc., What are some of the unusual or really custom mods you all have done ? Just finished a custom drawer storage system in the cargo area of mine. And currently working on designing and building a cargo rack.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'd love to make a drawer system like you did, but that third row actually gets used in mine.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,846 Posts
Curious as to how many of you are building an overland centered XK ? Aside from the typical 2-3" lift, tires, rack etc., What are some of the unusual or really custom mods you all have done ? Just finished a custom drawer storage system in the cargo area of mine. And currently working on designing and building a cargo rack.
Nice work.
I have a 5x8 enclosed utility trailer I use to hall all of my camping, hunting, fishing & overlanding gear in, so, there is no need for me to be that creative.

But again, you did a really nice job.

That's some great ingenuity.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Dang - that is a beautiful design and execution on that drawer system! Kudos to you - it's obvious you're a craftsman for sure.

I wish I could offer ideas that are different than what you've already mentioned but the one suggestion I'd make is to cover the underside with armor. Nothing worse than hitting a rock or limb just right (or wrong...) and taking out an oil pan, tranny pan or something else. After that a solid roof rack, front bumper with winch (with synthetic rope instead of steel) and maybe a swing-away tire carrier for your spare in the rear.

Again - great work on that drawer system.

Bob

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Third row seats

I'd love to make a drawer system like you did, but that third row actually gets used in mine.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Understand the third row seat issue. Have needed to use mine on a rare occasion. I was apprehensive about losing the use of the third row. But still thought a drawer storage system was the best use of the space. So I designed a modular system. The entire drawer component can be taken out as one piece. There is aprox. a 1/2" flat ledge on the bottom of the plastic trim that acts as a track and support. The outer edge of the drawer component rests on this flat ledge. The weight of the drawer component doesn't solely rest on this ledge. It just makes it easy to slide out when the third row seat or more cargo space is needed.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Trailers

Yea, they can be. Although I CAN see advantages and disadvantages. Just not something I've strongly considered. More of a minimalist here.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I like the drawer system, working on a design for mine. Overlanding is something my wife and I always wanted to do, vehicle dependent travel. Take on the Trans America Trail from Cape Hatteras to the Oregon Dunes. I have a long journey ahead of me to get this Commander where it needs to be to achieve this goal. Figured if I'm going to take a 10,000 mi off-road round trip across the country and back that will probably span about 2 months, the knowledge gleaned from these forums and the gurus of the commander is a good base.

Over the next few months there is going to be a massive change in my commander, from being the luxurious jeep that she is, to a mean chew up and spit out everything you throw at her beast....

I'll post what upgrades and ideas I have planned as soon as I nail down details on everything...

Leave it better than you found it..;)

·
Super Moderator
5,846 Posts
Yea, they can be. Although I CAN see advantages and disadvantages. Just not something I've strongly considered. More of a minimalist here.
You and I are polar opposites in that regard.

I'm the type of guy that likes to be prepared for anything & everything - I couldn't imagine not having my trailer with all of my gear & equipment inside and trust me - there is a lot of it.

The only real exception to the rule would be, if I was going to a new area just to scout it, then I'd probably leave my trailer behind.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Another thing you can do to open up a lot of space while keeping your third row would be to modify the jack tray behind the seats:

There is a lot of dead space under that tray. If you cut out the center of it, you open up a large storage compartment

After doing that, I was able to stuff the following in the void
-14 ft Jumper cables
-Portable battery jumper
-Small craftsman socket set
-small toolbox
-30 ft tow strap
-Sierra Saw
-Kukri blade
-Folding shovel
-Stock Jack / handles
-various straps/bungees
-Gloves/ hat / rags

There's still a little more room in there if I needed to cram more in there

·
Registered
480 Posts
It's worth noting that if you do remove the jack tray and put items under the third row seats, you won't be able to fold them up. But it does open up a lot of space.

·
Registered
356 Posts
It's worth noting that if you do remove the jack tray and put items under the third row seats, you won't be able to fold them up. But it does open up a lot of space.
hmmm, last time i had my tray out, i thought there was room under when the seats were up. nice to know.

i may try this for the few small items i have.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Interesting. I keep jumper cables and a first aid kit under the seats pushed all the way up to the seat cushions and they won't fold up. The chair backs make contact.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update on overland build

An update on the cargo space was in order. The table surface has more than doubled. With a second bigger one added. The biggest mod yet is the addition of a 21 gal.fresh water tank. I would not recommend this size tank, unless your ok with serious cutting to the rear hatch. A 12 gal. tank is very doable though. An upfront battery sends power to the back cargo space. On the floor where the 3rd row seat would be is a 1200w pure sine wave power inverter, power distribution fuse block, water pump and related plumbing for 21 gal water tank. Next on the agenda: 2 1/2" OME suspension lift and onboard air compressor with tank.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Generally overlanding. But to be self-sustainable, 2 or 3 people for a week. That would entail cooking, shower and consumption.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts