1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
That is what I would expect to have to do. How else were you thinking to tell the stereo to play the ipod?

Question for you on sound quality. What is the SQ like? At least as good as CD? Can you listen to 4 channels, or does it only play in left/right?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I worked on it last night and today my check engine light turned on. I spliced into 3 wires, black, red/orange and magenta/green (switched for the cigarette adapter). The check engine light did not pop up last night or this morning, but when I took out this afternoon it came on. I noticed it after the remote start started the car then quickly shut it off. Would a loose connection on any of those wires cause this problem?

Thanks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got everything working, looks like I need to have the mode set to Sat, then switch to Aux 1 on the P.I.E device.

I used the following wires:

Constant Power: Red/Orange
Ground: Black
Switched Power: Magenta/Green (cigarette adapter closest to driver)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds great, and it keeps the ipod charged. It charges an iphone however it will not play music from the iphone.

I think this is the way to go for the best sound quality. The hardest part of the install was finding the switching power supply (cigarette adapter).

Another bonus with this adapter, I can have two more Aux's, I will eventually have my aftermarket VES hooked up to it instead of the static FM mod it currently uses.

Nathan

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE: After a full day with the ipod I have found a slight problem with this adapter. Since you have to have the stereo set to Sat mode, and if you change stations on the sat radio you will have an interuption in music from the ipod. Easy work around, don't change channels. Another issue I had stems from the same issue with the channel changing, I noticed while driving the music would cut out, just like the sat radio does when there is No Signal. I put the the adapter to the test, went to a spot where there is no signal, and the music from the ipod stopped playing through the stereo. In conclusion, if there is no signal to your sat radio then your ipod won't work with this adapter. You must have a signal. This can be real problem driving in the mountains.

I am going to email the manufacturer and see if the have a workaround to this issue.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just got done talking with PIE tech support and they said that the unit only works in SAT mode. The problem I am experiencing is when the signal is lost, the radio becomes muted. Tech support suggested turning it to the station where it lists your radio ID (1 i think), since it does not require a signal it may not have the same muting as the other stations do.

Unfortunately I did not drive the Commander to work so I have to wait all day to test it out. I will test it first thing tonight and let you all know.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It looks like the only way to get around this problem is to figure out how to stop the stereo from muting everytime the signal is lost. Another thing I have not tried is turning the stereo to ID mode (this is where the SAT radio ID is displayed on the screen). The NAV manual says you can do this by leaving the car on on but not powered and press and hold the RND and LOAD buttons together (look in the back of the Jeep Nav manual).

Another option might be getting a high gain Sirius SAT Antenna, so the signal will never be lost. Anyone install something like this?

Maybe the factory iPod kit is the way to go.

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
I have the exact same harness installed in mine but I also connected the factory DVD player. I too notice you lose your iPod signal when you change stations in SAT mode but it quickly starts again. My grip is that the radio displays the SAT info even though you are listenting to the iPod.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It looks like they (PIE) are in the process of releasing the CHRY04-AUX, which will use the DVD mode of your radio for AUX input, while allowing to maintain factory satellite. This will only work if you don't have the Stock VES.

The guy I talked to is unsure on the ETA of the CHRY04-AUX.

I guess keep an eye out on their website: http://www.pie.net

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1 - 16 of 16 Posts