Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check Engine Light Came on in my '06 3.7L. Took it to the shop and replaced coil pack on cyl 4 and new spark plugs all the way around. I put Sea Foam in the gas tank, and in about 3 days it cleared up. 2 weeks later (yesterday) the light came back on and the truck is driving very rough. When I give it too much gas, it jerks and is clearly misfiring. It gives me a p0202 and p0304 code. I am assuming that the problem is cold related, as the first time it gave me problems, it was very cold (single digits) then warmed up for a couple weeks, and now we are back in the single digits, same problem. Any ideas? spark plugs have been replaced, and coil pack 4. My main question is why is this giving me a misfire on cylinder 2 and 4? are these related? anyone with the same issue, let me know if you've had any luck or any advice. Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Is that what those two codes are? Cylinder 2 &4 misfire. The reason I ask is you posted to different codes. Cylinder 2 &4 misfires should have been P0302 and P0304. Not P0202.

·
Registered
1 Posts
3.7l p0304

I have a 2007 dodge Dakota 3.7L v6 and I'm having the same problem just a slight miss when its cold and I first start it but when it warms up seems to be fine I'm thinking i may have water in the gas maybe because only when its really cold it does it. Maybe the water freezes up in the injector but I only have 70000 km on it. I know its not a jeep guys (SORRY) but just thought maybe sharing could help us all. Am gonna put some additive in my gas tomorrow and see what happens

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2006 Jeep Commander, 5.7 L HEMI.

Starting about a year ago, the check engine light would come on periodically. Now, however, within the past two weeks, it stays on. In addition, whenver I come to a stoplight, it will die, and I have to re-start the car. It also drives a little 'rough' from time-to-time.

The dealer plugged it up to the diagnostic machine, ran the codes, and it generated 'P0304' (Cylinder 4 Misfire), P0520 (Engine Oil Pressure) and P0700 (Transmission Control System). After generating this information - the dealer told me that if I fixed problem/code #1 (P0304) which equated to replacing the Spark Plug for Cylinder #4, as well as the accompanying coil pack, that it would fix problem/code #3 (P0700 Transmission Control). I actually replaced all the spark plugs (not just #4), in addition to the coil pack, and I'm still having the same problem; engine dying at stop lights, check engine light remains on and rough-ride at times.

Has anyone experienced similar symptoms? If so, what was the successful solution?

Thanks!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Mine did that before it started to get stuck in limp mode. Solenoid back in transmission followed by transmission rebuild. Never had the misfire or dead cylinder issues though.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
471 Posts
Lol not sure most was covered by extended warranty and the fluids and deductible were covered by the shop because they took 18 days.
But is say probably $2000.00 +.
Since they did the solenoid pack then had to do a rebuild.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a 2006 Jeep Commander, 5.7 L HEMI.

Starting about a year ago, the check engine light would come on periodically. Now, however, within the past two weeks, it stays on. In addition, whenver I come to a stoplight, it will die, and I have to re-start the car. It also drives a little 'rough' from time-to-time.

The dealer plugged it up to the diagnostic machine, ran the codes, and it generated 'P0304' (Cylinder 4 Misfire), P0520 (Engine Oil Pressure) and P0700 (Transmission Control System). After generating this information - the dealer told me that if I fixed problem/code #1 (P0304) which equated to replacing the Spark Plug for Cylinder #4, as well as the accompanying coil pack, that it would fix problem/code #3 (P0700 Transmission Control). I actually replaced all the spark plugs (not just #4), in addition to the coil pack, and I'm still having the same problem; engine dying at stop lights, check engine light remains on and rough-ride at times.

Has anyone experienced similar symptoms? If so, what was the successful solution?

Thanks!
Cylinder 2 and 4 are located near each other, in the same row.

Is the engine heat stable? or goes it up in front of the stop lights?

If the heat goes up, do a pressure test.

Like the mechanic told you (P0700 Transmission Control) is just a outcome from the first 2 faults, start first to look closer on the misfire part :)

Misfire can have more causes, than just a bad spark plug. :D :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Recently I have been exsperencing the same engine light issue. It started when I stop at a faithful gas station (I thought). Turns out they had some watery gas!! Anyway I tryed an old trick that I learned from an old timer.. Take the gas cap compltely off then reinstall it again but this time turn it no less then three to four times.. He says the gas cap mght be getting old and needs to be replaced..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts