Jeep Commander Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I know what you mean brother, life just has a way of gut-punching you at the most inconvenient times.

Well, if it was me, I'd roll-up your sleeves and see if you can't get the ball-joint taken care of on your daughter's Liberty.

Do you know anyone that could maybe give you a hand? I wouldn't think a replacement ball-joint would cost that much if you can try & tackle it yourself with an extra pair of hands.

While was multitasking and letting the POR 15 dry on my Grand Cherokee, I gave my daughter's Liberty an oil change. Now that I got a better look, it isnt the ball joints but rather the tie rod ends which should be easier. I have been soaking them in PB Blaster. The Liberty has the same setup as the Commander. And like my Commander I went ahead and checked the boot at the end of the driveshaft and sure enough it was cracked open. Only this time there is no warranty. I ordered a CV Joint kit to repair instead of replace along with new tie rod ends. I do hear a low moaning sound when driving and when coasting. After more research it looks like its most likely the wheel hub assemblies/bearings.

Now I have an actual Commander question. I needed new tires and I got a great deal on Wrangler Moab wheels. I went to put them on and one just clears the front caliper but the other side rub one part of the caliper bracket near the bottom bolt. They are Power Stop calipers. Would different calipers clear better? I dont know much about wheel spacers but I dont need much more clearance at all. May 1/4". I started looking at some and It looks like I may need longer wheel studs? The Power Stop calipers are starting to corrode. So much for powder coating. Also I saw they make a one piece caliper and bracket but it was some generic or no name brand.

·
Administrator
6,242 Posts
While was multitasking and letting the POR 15 dry on my Grand Cherokee, I gave my daughter's Liberty an oil change. Now that I got a better look, it isnt the ball joints but rather the tie rod ends which should be easier. I have been soaking them in PB Blaster. The Liberty has the same setup as the Commander. And like my Commander I went ahead and checked the boot at the end of the driveshaft and sure enough it was cracked open. Only this time there is no warranty. I ordered a CV Joint kit to repair instead of replace along with new tie rod ends. I do hear a low moaning sound when driving and when coasting. After more research it looks like its most likely the wheel hub assemblies/bearings.

Now I have an actual Commander question. I needed new tires and I got a great deal on Wrangler Moab wheels. I went to put them on and one just clears the front caliper but the other side rub one part of the caliper bracket near the bottom bolt. They are Power Stop calipers. Would different calipers clear better? I dont know much about wheel spacers but I dont need much more clearance at all. May 1/4". I started looking at some and It looks like I may need longer wheel studs? The Power Stop calipers are starting to corrode. So much for powder coating. Also I saw they make a one piece caliper and bracket but it was some generic or no name brand.
I often wonder if "Flex-Seal" would work to repair those boots; It used to be a special order T.V. thing, but, it's pretty widely available now & easy to find on the shelf in quite a few stores. The boot on the front/forward end of my drive shaft has a small tear in it and I was thinking about trying Flex-Seal to repair it. From what I know of the product, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

As far as your Wrangler wheel question goes, most guys that have dealt with this issue when using Wrangler rims have over come the issue by simply taking a grinder to the front Calipers until they have enough clearance; From what I understand, it usually doesn't take that much grinding to gain the clearance needed; I believe you will still run into the same issue - even with the stock Jeep Commander calipers.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I often wonder if "Flex-Seal" would work to repair those boots; It used to be a special order T.V. thing, but, it's pretty widely available now & easy to find on the shelf in quite a few stores. The boot on the front/forward end of my drive shaft has a small tear in it and I was thinking about trying Flex-Seal to repair it. From what I know of the product, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

As far as your Wrangler wheel question goes, most guys that have dealt with this issue when using Wrangler rims have over come the issue by simply taking a grinder to the front Calipers until they have enough clearance; From what I understand, it usually doesn't take that much grinding to gain the clearance needed; I believe you will still run into the same issue - even with the stock Jeep Commander calipers.

Thanks, good to know. But what about wheel spacers?

·
Administrator
6,242 Posts
You can try and go that route if you like; Personally, I've never been a proponent of wheel spacers, I never liked the idea of having something that can fail, between the rotor and the rim - but a lot of guys use them and have had no issues.

I don't know what size wheel spacers you would need to give you the clearance you're lacking though.

·
Registered
110 Posts

I installed 1.25” spacers but while installing them I measured the studs and you could fit 1” spacers without grinding the factory studs down. I was also thinking about a thin spacer but didn’t want to hassle with lengthening the factory studs.

I have no complaints on my spacers. Checked the torque after 1000 miles or so and they where tight. Rechecking the torque periodically would be my only gripe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
So I ground down the caliper brackets and while I had the Jeep up, the wheels seemed to just clear them. I finished late and didnt get to test drive it until this morning. Going straight seemed fine but when I turn left, I hear a scraping noise from the front right and when I turn right, noise from the left. I think the wheels might be coming into contact with the knuckle? So I quickly threw my old ones back on i the front and the noise went away. So if I want to stay with the Wrangler wheels, Im going to need spacers. The Wrangler wheels look so much nicer and they were taken off a Jeep just after it was purchased so they are like new. Went with the metallic silver and satin black lug nuts and Pirrelli Scorpian All Terrain Plus. They look much more aggressive but not too aggressive. Also have the deep snow certification and great reviews. First time not going with Goodyears.

Again I dont know much about them. I dont want them sticking out too far. Looks like some of the thinner spacers use the existing wheel studs but may require longer ones.

Sevenjays, you are saying if I use 1" spacers, they mount to the existing studs and they must come with their own studs for mounting the wheel?

What are some of the better spacer manufactures? I know it has to 5x5.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yes, my 1 1/2" use the existing studs to attach to the rotor, and have new studs installed in them to attach the rim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
110 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Mark, I have a set of 1in spacers for sale. Never installed, just bought them in case they were needed with my new tires. PM if your interested.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

Sorry for the late response. Ive been busy with my Grand Cherokee and then I went on vacation. I ended up ordering 1.5" spacers made by SpiderTrax. The 1.5" came up as the recommended size for the Commander. I just installed them this past weekend. I love the look of it with the new tires and Wrangler Moab wheels. Looks more aggressive. I'll have to take some pictures.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts