Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at wits end looking for this EVAP leak ! I've took it to a shop and got it smoked and they said it was the charcoal canister.I replaced the charcoal canister ( oem with new leak detection pump) replaced the gas cap with an oem mopar cap. I replaced the purge valve. I went so far as to buy a smoke machine and smoked it myself, and I found no leaks. I'm out of ideas and have nowhere else to look... All of the write ups I've seen the remedy was a fuel cap or leak detection pump. Has anyone had to replace anything else other than these pieces ?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I am currently in the same boat as you. I have the P0456 for about 2 years now and occasionally get the "Check Gas Cap" display message. I can clear the code and sometimes get a couple of days before it comes back. My mechanic has replaced the canister and I'm pretty sure done some other things as well (like new gas cap). Every time the CEL will come on and it's P0456. Last time I had it in the shop, he told me the fuel filler neck was not making contact with the seal on the gas gap and he tried other gas caps with no luck. He asked if i ever had the fuel filler neck replaced, etc. I bought mine new and never had did anything to it. He told me $300 to replace the fuel filler neck. I told him I would live with the CEL for now.

On a side note, the jeep will sometimes drop into a lower RPM than normal idle and i have had the jeep flat out stall. I am not sure if an evap leak could cause such of symptom. I have recently run a bottle of fuel cleaner in the gas tank as i thought maybe it might be something fuel system related.

·
Registered
85 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ok, so we need part # 4861963AC, detection pump and the seal, part # 52129436AB. Can get for $36 shipped on RockAuto. I'm going to get this and will update back if it fixes my issues. If it doesn't, I'll probably pay someone to do a smoke test or just ignore it :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts