Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Commander Limited 5.7 Hemi 2WD :(
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been reading around and can’t seem to find much information relevant towards what I’m dealing with. Most of what I’m finding is people who have this code have multiple codes including solenoid codes. I currently just have a P0988 code and the car is pretty much “locked out” of 5th gear whenever driven and intermittently has been going to into limp mode Indicated by the [D] on the instrument cluster changing to a [4]. I did a full transmission service replaced both filters and replaced all the transmission fluid with ATF +4. Also replaced transmission fluid pressure sensor because the P0988 code was being thrown by the TFPS sensor. After doing so the problem became less intermittent and actually became a lot more constant. When it goes into limp mode I pull over, put the car in park, turn the engine off, start it again, put it in drive and it’s back to normal not being in limp mode. If I were to put it in neutral while driving down the road turn the car off turn it back on and put it back into drive without going into park it will still display a [4] on the instrument cluster instead of [D] indicates I’m still in limp mode.
I previously haven’t had any issues with transmission no slipping, no skipping gears, no harsh shifts. it’s really behaved well and this issue came out of nowhere. Any ideas on what to try to replace next? Transmission solenoid’s? Try a different TFPS sensor? Different transmission filters? When I did the tranny service the fluid wasn’t burnt and there wasnt any metal particles so I don’t know what I’m doing wrong. Thank you in advance for any replies

·
Registered
151 Posts
Fair warning: Absolutely no personal experience with this!

Listening to the part of your story where you changed the sensor and the problem got worse makes me think of one thing; the wiring. Maybe you have an intermittent connection at that sensor. Could be that the connector itself is bad or corroded inside or it could be the wire is partially broken. The basis of my theory is that by manipulating it you made the connection somehow worse. Sometimes it's the simple stuff, hoping that for you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Went and metered all three of the wires on the plug, none of them had shorts present, replaced the TFPS sensor hoping that I had purchased a faulty sensor. Any other ideas? Still only have P0988 code present, no other codes, totally stumped :/

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I want to update this incase anyone else ends up having to deal with the same issue. Long story short the issue was the original transmission fluid pressure sensor failed and I replaced it with an aftermarket sensor both times. I ended up taking an OEM sensor from an abandoned Dodge ram 1500 which has the same part; installed it and that solved my issue. Funny to think how after $700 trying to fix this issue it ended up being fixed with a $104 part that was acquired for free. Moral of the story, use OEM sensors

·
Administrator
16,181 Posts
I want to update this incase anyone else ends up having to deal with the same issue. Long story short the issue was the original transmission fluid pressure sensor failed and I replaced it with an aftermarket sensor both times. I ended up taking an OEM sensor from an abandoned Dodge ram 1500 which has the same part; installed it and that solved my issue. Funny to think how after $700 trying to fix this issue it ended up being fixed with a $104 part that was acquired for free. Moral of the story, use OEM sensors
@BigIslandXK Glad you got it fixed! Thank you for the update.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Certainly use oem oxygen sensors...went through this with the replacement Bosch. They did not resolve the stumbling and hesitating issues on my 3.7.
U ended up replacing them with oem sensors, and it ran great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts