Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if any of the members here are from the northwest portion of the country. Looking at possibly organizing a few trail runs in the mount hood area of Oregon before the real snow hits. (New rain= new mud :))

·
Registered
23 Posts
It's an old post but I am new to the group and am 2 miles south of Portland. Of course, now the snow has hit the valley too...

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Welcome to the forums. I am a tad to far Northwest to trail ride unless I get a windfall of cash and take a ferry or drive.

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
I'm in Missoula now, but later this year (August) we're moving to Fort Lewis by Tacoma. We'll be looking for some trails then!

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
We don't usually get moved once a year, but for the last seven New Years I have lived in entirely different places:

Dec 31, 2008 - Montana
Dec 31, 2007 - Georgia
Dec 31, 2006 - Colorado
Dec 31, 2005 - Iraq
Dec 31, 2004 - Colorado
Dec 31, 2003 - Georgia
Dec 31, 2002 - Washington

And on Dec 31, 2009 - I'll be back in Washington.

Sorry for the threadjack, but damn, that's a lot of different New Years parties!

Hopefully, we'll be at Fort Lewis for a good amount of time.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I lived in Tacoma for a couple of years, there are some great trails up there.

·
Registered
23 Posts
As much as I have been on the road for work since I moved to Oregon, haven't gotten to know the trails here, even after having a Rubicon. I do miss the trails back in Arizona though. Queen's Valley, Bartlett Lake, Roosevelt OHV....

·
Registered
862 Posts
I live in the Tri-Cities WA. Please don't hold that against me. :)

I like Bend OR and/or the China Hat road area.

I also spend a fair amount of time around Trout Lake WA and running around in the Gifford Pinchot nat'l forest.

I'm also a caver, and lava caves plus 4x4's go hand in hand.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Adondo, sounds like we're going to have to get together. I haven't played in the caves up here but spent a lot of time in the limestone caverns back home in FL/GA.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hopefully, we'll be at Fort Lewis for a good amount of time.
Lewis is awsome there are plenty of trails on post. As long as those darn strikers are not out doing there thing. Thats when I do most my offroading is while i am at work. Normally after a jump the drop zones normally have some of the best trails leading off them.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ahaha damn...I put this up a while back. At first I didn't even realize I started it. I know of some decent trails out near John Day in the Ochoco's. Most of them won't be run-able until the snow melts off in April/May, even then I've had my friends Land Cruiser get stuck on us in 10" of pack snow. If anyone's interested I can start getting some mapped out for early summer. The wife is from Lewiston Idaho and she is trying to persuade me to make the drive out there, apparently they have very good trails as well.

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
Lewis is awsome there are plenty of trails on post. As long as those darn strikers are not out doing there thing. Thats when I do most my offroading is while i am at work. Normally after a jump the drop zones normally have some of the best trails leading off them.
Do they let you take civilian vehicles out on the trails? Or is it just a "don't get caught" kinda deal? I found trails at Carson, but I had to make it quick so the MPs didn't think I was up to something.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ft Lewis

It really depends on where you go. You dont really need to worry to much about the MP's out where the good area's are its range control you have to worry about. You know the deal all retired 1SG's and CSM's that are still on a power trip. But thats why i just normally stick to days when we jump. I am already out there and range control knows we use POV's for transportation so they never check on those days who's on the trails around the DZ being used. Just dont drive on an active DZ the pilots and us jumpmasters get a little pissy over that more so the pilots. Here is a picture from in Oct 07 the last time i was out there with my jeep. And this is just a pic of one of the DZ's trails the real trails are on the leading edges of the DZ's thats where the fun is.

Attachments

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Stevenson WA trip I just took up here Also a nice outdoor free unmarshalled "state ordained" shooting range there. Definitely some stuff I wouldn't do there without a trail mate and a few tow straps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Redmond Commander

I would like to participate in the central OR area when I'm here. Lotsa nice USFS roads in the Ochoco area. And I would like to explore the China Hat area - haven't been over there.

·
Registered
30 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Anyone Interested in a Christmas Tree Run in Dec?

Was thinking of trying to get a tree run together in Dec up on Mt Hood. Have done this several times in the past and its a blast ... :alf:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Christmas Tree Run?
are you taking about going out there & cutting down our own tree for a christmas tree on Mt Hood & and wheelin at the same time?

If so, I have never done that before & sounds like fun. Let me know some more info when you have a chance

1 - 20 of 20 Posts