Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 07 Commander, and all it has on top is the molded bars with the 2 holes on each end of each one. I assume these are to attach an actual roof rack. I have no idea. I am clueless about it. Me and my family are going on a road trip, and need to pack luggage or at least a sea bag up top, of course no room inside the truck with 7 passengers. can anyone help me out. Can I strap luggage with the existing bars that are there or do I have to buy and install the roof rack bars. Any feed back would be helpful.

·
Registered
401 Posts
The side rails are just tracks for attaching the crossbars, made to look like rails from the side. You can attached a roof bag to the existing holes, but anything else and you might risk damaging the roof. I bought a waterproof Thule roof bag last year on Amazon and use that when I travel - it works very well and has loads of packing space. I think it was about $100. There are some roof racks that will attach directly to the tracks on your roof, but for most racks you need either the stock or aftermarket crossbars to bear the load.

Good luck!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Chrysler has the crossbars for your Commander. Sometimes some of our members put them up for sale on our site...check it out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i've used a roof bag as well. i adjusted the crossbars so the bag you sit on the roof to stop it moving around. i wasn't that confident in the straps that came with the bag so i also used a couple of ratchet straps across the top once it was loaded. it worked fine and i really didn't damage the paintwork. just make sure it is not likely to slide around.

this is one i have

http://www.cargogear.com/OneItemInfo.aspx?partnum=ROPLAT

and it seems to be on sale right now. has a padded "floor", i also make sure i clean the roof and bottom of the bag before loading, dust and grit will scratch the paint

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
(It) .. has a padded "floor", i also make sure i clean the roof and bottom of the bag before loading, dust and grit will scratch the paint
I'd be very leery of putting the bag directly on the roof itelf .. not because of scratching but just the chance of damage ... the bag is pretty big it could get heavy.

Actualy I was just looking for info in the owner's manual and it back tracks on this issue..

To prevent damage to the roof of your vehicle, DO NOT
carry any loads on the roof rack without cross rails in-
stalled. The load should be secured and placed on top of the
cross rails, not directly on the roof. If it is necessary to place
the load on the roof,
place a blanket or some other protec-
tion between the load and the roof surface.

So I guess it is OK as long as it's not really heavy ... by the way thanks for the tip I never heard of a soft side waterproof bag like that ... I'm definatley going to look into getting one

·
2,248 Posts
I am sure that you know about the roof pods also. They come in several sizes. They are probably more than you want to spend for just occasional use. They are aerodynamic and do not cause much if any wind noise. They do require cross bars to secure them to the roof. One feature that I like is that they have locks on the pod and on the cross bars. I leave mine on all the time and store winter or cold weather survival gear, (coats, blankets,bedding, pillow), mostly light stuff that does not effect the center of gravity of the Commander. I have never had to use the contents, but on a trail on the backside of nowhere, it is nice to have. I also carry an inflatable bed and lots of survival gear in my third row storage compartment.

Here are a few pictures, (if you do not have pictures it does not exist)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys that was all helpful information. I think I am going to try a padded bag, and hopefully we can strap it well enough not to slide around. The only thing that will be in it is clothes and shoes. No other equipment. 5 kids 2 adults. The response was awesome. thanks again.

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
Where are you at? I have some crossbars, they are just a pain to ship.

·
Registered
15 Posts
wow...you know how to roll hueypilotvn... remind me to take you on any trip i go on...you can be the roadside rescue vehicle...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'd be very leery of putting the bag directly on the roof itelf .. not because of scratching but just the chance of damage ... the bag is pretty big it could get heavy.

Actualy I was just looking for info in the owner's manual and it back tracks on this issue..

To prevent damage to the roof of your vehicle, DO NOT
carry any loads on the roof rack without cross rails in-
stalled. The load should be secured and placed on top of the
cross rails, not directly on the roof. If it is necessary to place
the load on the roof,
place a blanket or some other protec-
tion between the load and the roof surface.

So I guess it is OK as long as it's not really heavy ... by the way thanks for the tip I never heard of a soft side waterproof bag like that ... I'm definatley going to look into getting one
i never carry anything real heavy or that i am too concerned about, portable BBQ, sunshades, chairs etc. mostly beach stuff. mostly the bulky lightweight items.

·
2,248 Posts
Those are actually two kites for when you get to the top of the mountain. You got to have something to do.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
i never carry anything real heavy or that i am too concerned about, portable BBQ, sunshades, chairs etc. mostly beach stuff. mostly the bulky lightweight items.
Yes .. right next to the roof like that is probably better for lighter stuff too .. so the wind dosen't get under it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts