Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my problem. I have a 06 commander midnight blue. I love it. However, it was keyed in the drivers side rear door while sitting in my driveway.:mad: Anyway, we all know about the "orange peel" on the midnight blue's. DO i push the issue with the insurance company being that you can't match up orange peel. I have vandals!!!!!!!

ok sorry for ranting

any help is appriciated

·
Registered
48 Posts
Run out, key the other side, and get the whole thing re-painted. Never worry about the Orange Peal again.:D

·
Registered
274 Posts
Dooooh! man that snaps. Who is your insurance company? Hope they do you right!

We have op on out Inferno Red XK too. I just get more mud on it!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Anyone who keys a jeep should be locked up. Sorry to hear that happened to you.
Why is it people can not respect each other any more?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Scoobydew31 said:
I second that! Sorry about your Jeep. A lot of knuckleheads running around. I hope they don't put you through any more drama attemping to get it fixed. Good luck.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Yea, the orange peel issue. I used to build fire trucks, had a buddy who painted them. If there was orange peel on any truck, it was repainted. But the paint job was sprayed by a person!!!, not a machine. I'm not sure how they paint them now, seems like I've seen footage of machines painting vehicles. To repaint a vehicle with orange peel would take sanding the entire vehicle and repainting, a major job.

·
Registered
473 Posts
if you take it to a reputable body shop you shouldn't be able to notice the difference.
i have a friend that works at a body shop and my wife hit a deer with her windstar and had to have the hood repainted. there wasn't alot of orange peel in the original paint but when we got it back it was identical.
he also had 2 mustangs that he peiced together and repainted and it looked like a factory paint job.

when a body shop paints a vehicle they will usually wet sand (or color sand as some call it) it when they are finished. this gives it a mirror like finish. instead of wet sanding smooth they will stop about half way there to match the orange peel on the rest of the vehicle.
your new JC could probably be wet sanded and buffed out to give it a mirror like finish. it is alot of work and should be done by someone with experience.
any vehicle with a clear coat finish can be wet sanded. i've done it a few times. turned out great.
i doubt there are many painters that can paint a vehicle as good as a factory paint job without wet sanding.
all show cars are wet sanded and buffed after painting.
ask around at your local body shops. don't be afraid to take it to a custom car shop, those guys really know what they are doing.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Scoobydew31 said:
Or beter yet. Why is it there're people out there who can not respect Jeeps?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, follow up. I have nationwide ins. They hooked my up right. I went to get an est. today and within 45 minutes, it was all fixed. they wet sanded it and kinda blended it into the surrounding areas. Can't tell at all. I am very pleased. However, the body shop manager said that i should go back to the dealer and have it repainted completely, that the orange peel is really bad and there is areas that the primer is coming thru and there are rocks/sand grit in the hood..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.