Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I have an Overland with the factory chrome grill. I want to buck the trend of the whole "black out/smoked" craze. As you all know the seven slot areas on the OEM chrome grill (all xk grills too I believe) have black plastic bars or slats running horizontal and vertical behind the front or main chrome portion. Is this area just ABS plastic? is it detachable or part of the actual grill? I'd like to paint just these slat areas body color and leave the remainder chrome. What would be the best option here? Paint? Powdercoat? I'd be taking this piece to a professional either way. I did search and didn't see that anyone has done this yet, have they?

Keep on Jeepin' On

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is a photo of the area I'm talking about - the black areas between the vertical chrome grill slots:

And here is a photo of Bob Ross:

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Hah, lovin' the Bob Ross pic.

You should have no trouble painting it with paint designed for plastics. Krylon Fusion should work nicely. The chrome piece is removable AFAIK.

Mine is all plastidipped. No peeling issues.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hah, lovin' the Bob Ross pic.

You should have no trouble painting it with paint designed for plastics. Krylon Fusion should work nicely. The chrome piece is removable AFAIK.

Mine is all plastidipped. No peeling issues.

Looks really nice. How many cost did you apply to get such finish?

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
The grill removes with a couple of plastic pop up rivets over the radiator crossbeam. It's easy to remove and re-install.

I did NOT take my grill apart, but it appears the chrome portion is separate piece from the black slats that fill the openings in the chrome grill. The black slats seem to be the structural piece that the chrome grill snaps over top of. So, I'm thinking you can't throw away the black slats, but you can remove the chrome grill and cut out the plastic vertical slats with a dremel if that is what you wanted. You could probably glue in black wire mesh using plasti-weld epoxy if you wanted, again guessing, but it might be very easy.

The grille is chrome plated plastic, so powder coating is definitely out (unless there is some new plastic powder coating process that I haven't heard about, don't be surprised if we see it soon).

How about Black Chrome?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ziO0ZytLuE

I want to do my Chrome Grill in Carbon Fiber Vinyl Wrap.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31fxHVhDRCI

Since the Commander Crowd loves their Plasti-Dip!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N5N-AYaENI

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Looks really nice. How many cost did you apply to get such finish?
4 coats IIRC. Thanks, it is a satin sheen, so it contrasts the paint a bit, but I like it. Especially considering how imperfect the plastic chrome was starting to look due to pitting/chips.
Plasti Dip is self levelling, and very easy to apply so long as you do light coats.

Several people have replaced the slats with expanded sheet metal, and to do so they are removing the chrome piece from the plastic supports, which includes the slats. It is removable see this thread:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/expanded-sheet-grille-mod-1273464/

first remove the grille from the jeep by taking out all of those pushpin things and it should just come right off.
now you must take the grille cover (the painted part) off the grille to get to the "inserts". There are several little snap things that hold the cover to the grille, and a flat head screw driver does the best to separate the cover from the grille. I believe there is about 1 per side on the inside of the slots and 4 or 5 on the edges of the grille.
(no pic but easy to figure out if you look at the grille)
It appears that it snaps together.

I can dig the expanded sheet look, heres a commander:

I'd like to do this as well as the lower grille for protection from debris.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts