Jeep Commander Forum banner

Paint or Vinyls

4K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  jeeepapocalypse 
#1 · (Edited)
Starting to look into a repaint on my 06 Jeep Commander 5.7L Hemi Limited...black paint is chipping on the roof and hood. Any recommendations/thoughts? Trying to save money, but its got to hold up and look good.

#4 ·
Vinyl covering is cheaper, looks good, but it also is thin enough that it will show imperfections below it. So if you have chipping, you may see it below the vinyl, you may have to do some work filling in the chips and smoothing out the coat. If you're keeping the original color then it becomes much easier. What makes Vinyl wraps look awful is when folks change the color but don't do the seems and door jambs, and you can see the other color through the body openings around the doors and hood. You can wrap those areas as well, but like painting its a lot more work and expense.

#5 ·
Try a two tone, not many around anymore, Cost would be considerably less. Red or silver with the black, or any other color you want.

#6 ·
Thanks for the info. I've settled on two-tone plasti dipping the entire jeep. OD green for the main body, with center of the hood, bumpers, roof, and all chrome repainted to black as well as the wheels. I'll post before and after pictures this summer when the job is completed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.