Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok
I had an excellent idea, start a paint your wheel thread.
If you have painted your wheels, post them here and tell us how you did it.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
This is my first time:

I used Black Rustoleum Laquer on the first set. I cleaned and sanded, no primer.
I did tape off the tires, but still had some overspray.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2nd shot...

...Not sure if that's a good idea or not, but, somebody's gotta try it!
Thanks!
I did a light sand and shot them to see how it would look.

I like the look. I will redo my wheels, but sand them down first.

This one isn't as good as the first.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I'm impressed with the quality you got from a spray can. Nice work! I think it would look really sic if you either left the center caps unpainted (a little late for that now) or hand-painted "Jeep" in silver/chrome.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
or hand-painted "Jeep" in silver/chrome.
good idea ,,, he also can put a Jeep sticker before the paint and remove it after it to show the Jeep name on chrome ..

·
Registered
422 Posts
good look cico...were they the gun metal before you painted them?

·
Registered
18 Posts
When you painted the wheels did you take them off the Jeep or leave them on?? probably a stupid question but I'm seriously thinking about painting my wheels as well, same black as yours. Also in the stock wheels there seems to be a fine pattern with seams in it, I was wondering if that changed with the sanding that was done?? Also what grit did you use? and did you use a clear coat?? Sorry but describing what exactly you did and how you did it would be awesome. Thanks

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Basic stock aluminum wheel when I started. I washed them down and
scrubbed them. I did not prime the wheels.

I used packaging paper and cut a hole in it and taped around the wheels.

After it was taped, I used Rustoleum bedliner. Several light coats.
Then moved on to the next wheel.

I have very little chipping and you can see from Flagpole and Jeepskool,
I have tried them out. Nice thing about the bedliner paint, it's black.

Need a little trim? Just hit it with a short spray.

Daily driving and car washes don't bother the paint. Off roading scraping
rocks, wheel, that's what the can is for!

If you get it on the tires, it comes off. Paint does not stick real well to
tires.

If you leave the wheels on, your brakes are going to grab and squeal at
first.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When I first painted the wheels, I used a Laquer. I didt't like
it very well so I used paint remover and then sanded the wheels.

After that, I used the bed liner paint. It does real well.

I did not clear coat the wheels. I didnt see a need in it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
When painting the wheels while they are on the Jeep I take it you do not paint the inside of the wheel?? If not is it very noticeable the inner wheel?? Also, what grit of sandpaper did you use on the wheels??:rofl:

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When painting the wheels while they are on the Jeep I take it you do not paint the inside of the wheel?? If not is it very noticeable the inner wheel?? Also, what grit of sandpaper did you use on the wheels??:rofl:
Well, of course I painted the inside of the wheels.....
15:eyemouth:0grit.....

·
Registered
242 Posts
Im going to buy my buddies old stock tires and do some painting. im gonna go for the black/blue look. since my car has blue lights and blue lugs and blue air caps. so gonna do the wheel black and then jeep blue and add some blue lines across the folds. undecided as of exact design. but i got it in my head.

right now i have some 17" cragar soft 8s on 31" super swampers.
but im going to be buying some street tires soon. im looking into nitto dune grapplers. but their rim slots are all messed up. so if i cant find a nitto dune grappler to fit with the stock rims im painting, then i will be looking for others. i want XD rockstars. but still looking around.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have been revisiting the idea of painting my rims. They are same as yours, and have decided on black. I just had to visit this thread again for inspiration. Good job again, I hope mine turns out as good.

·
Registered
275 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Summit has em. They've been around quite a while.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRR-3978850/

This link will take you to the 4.5" backspace set. They have most any other backspace as well.
Did you have any rubbing issues with that backspacing and with the 31's? I've painted my silverado's rims with black engine enamel and it turned out really well but looks like the bed liner black turned a true black as opposed to a matte black. im still deciding to throw on the soft 8's or just paint mine. can you post a pic with your cragars on it?
Eric

·
Registered
9 Posts
Im gonna do this come spring. Going for the silver w/ black wheels look. So as a refresh here........use the bedliner spray? I have the same wheels as cico7.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts