Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I searched and did not find any specific threads regarding painted calipers. Maybe my search terms were not the best?

Have you painted your calipers and if so what color did you paint them? What product did you use?
I see Dupli-color has a specific paint for these in both aerosol and brush on.
http://www.duplicolor.com/products/caliperPaint/

I have a 2007 Rocky Mountain edition with the Light Graystone pearlcoat with the polished aluminum 7 spoke wheels. I am considering it when I change out my brake pads soon. I guess I am just looking for the results received and methods used.

My wheels may also get a Plastidip treatment in black when this is done. I guess any color will look good with black. I also have cross drilled and slotted rotors installed.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Im thinking about this too ,, very interested to see pics if someone done it before

In my case I would prefer yellow since I have the yellow OME shocks

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am thinking yellow too. It would look good with just about any color vehicle I think. Plus with my wheels the calipers do not show so much so it would be an eyesore or too much yellow. Red is also an option I am considering.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Mine are red. Used the dupli color brush on kit that comes with everything you need from cleaning calipers to painting. then used a heat gun to dry (otherwise wait 24 hours recommended before driving). I regret not doing the caliper bracket (i guess you would call it) and just the caliper itself including backside but I still have the paint in the garage to finish it up. Pics to come and if i forget message me.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Haven't done it on the Jeep, but on my MX5...

The first time I painted a set of calipers with the Duplicolor kit, it looked good for about a month, then began to get dirty and start chipping. I cleaned the caliper with the supplied caliper cleaner and made sure I got everywhere before painting. Due to the nature of the brake, it's just one of those things that you can't clean easily. I thought about trying the G2 kit, but didn't want to wait to have it shipped.

The second time around I went over the top. I first grinded off all the old paint and casting lines on the caliper, masked everything off, used 6-8 coats of Chrysler Red engine block paint, applied a sticker, then finished it off with 6-8 coats of high temp clear. It was a lengthy process, but almost 2 years after doing it the calipers look fresh and I can just hose them off usually from the brake dust. I was the car often enough to where it doesn't build up to bad. I've had the car on the track numerous times without any issue.

If I had to do it again, I'd probably just spray them black to keep them looking spotless 100% of the time. I still like the red on the Miata though, I think it fits...breaks up the color a little bit. Remember, if you do a bright color its just going to be another thing to keep clean or it will start looking nasty/cheap.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I painted mine with Dupli Color (gloss black) when I put my lift on. They're a little dusty in the pic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts