Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who have painted their fender flares a different color other than the body color, can you please post a picture? The reason I ask is this. I have to replace my rear bumper cover as I cracked it last year when I backed into a pole. Sensors did not tell me it was there. I also plan to purchase a set of Limited Flares w/rivits at the same time. My body color is Bright Silver Metallic. I would like to have the new rear bumper as well as the new flares painted a dark slate gray metallic, as well as my front bumper. Concerning the front bumper, what are your opinions about painting over paint? I plan to have my dealer body shop do the work. Opinions and pictures, please. Once done, I will post pictures. Can someone tell me how to post pictures? Thank you for all of your help.:eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
189 Posts
General way of painting over old paint on a metal surface is to sand with large grit, then smooth with small grit, prime, 2-4 coats of paint, seal. Since the front bumper is a plastic composite I'm not quite sure the best course of action :-/ I would assume use small grit throughout making sure not to melt anything, then paint/seal it like you would anything else.

·
2,248 Posts
I think someone dared me to do this, probably A49erfan or Phunkeydude.

I just used bed liner. First I did it on my plastic front fender after pushing some trees over to turn around on the trail when Phunkeydude broke. Then I did the back plastic bumper. After mounting the "Get Lost" bumper I did it in bed liner and then went ahead and did the fender flares. The thing about bedliner is that if you use the roller you get a nice texture. It is also easy to touch up, though I have not had any need to yet. My jeep is "Jeep Green" and I used black bedliner. Here are some pictures.

I also used self etching gray primer before I did the bed liner.

I use the same bed liner in a spray to get the edges covered and then used the roller to carefully recoat it. If you get bed liner on the body you can wipe it off with a cloth and some solvent, I used laquer thinner.

·
2,248 Posts
You might also ask Ross "Get Lost 4x4" about a rear bumper. I am sure that he has removed his factory bumper and I think it is silver also. Problem would be shipping such a bulky item. But who knows?

·
Registered
2,788 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
For those of you who have painted their fender flares a different color other than the body color, can you please post a picture? The reason I ask is this. I have to replace my rear bumper cover as I cracked it last year when I backed into a pole. Sensors did not tell me it was there. I also plan to purchase a set of Limited Flares w/rivits at the same time. My body color is Bright Silver Metallic. I would like to have the new rear bumper as well as the new flares painted a dark slate gray metallic, as well as my front bumper. Concerning the front bumper, what are your opinions about painting over paint? I plan to have my dealer body shop do the work. Opinions and pictures, please. Once done, I will post pictures. Can someone tell me how to post pictures? Thank you for all of your help.:eek:rangehat:
Painting over the OEM finish will not be a problem. The factory color has great adhesion. If the surface is prepared well, the finish you have applied over the OEM will have good adhesion too. Do not remove the OEM finish. If you are going to have the dealer do the work, they will know how to properly finish the plastic. I would not go in there and tell them they need to use a heavy grit and then follow with a finer grit. Let them do their job. Use a reputable shop and you will not have any issues.

Expect some chipping on the front bumper. You have chipping with the OEM finish and you will have it with the aftermarket finish. If the shop uses a reputable product, such as PPG, Nexa, Akzo, BASF, or DuPont you will be more likely to be satisfied with your results. If the shop uses Matrix, Montana, UPOL, or any other generic products, they are hacks, have no understanding of quality, and you will likely have problems with long term durability.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
49er, what kind of bedliner (brand) did you use for your bumper? I need to redo mine because the el-cheapo spray on stuff didn't work as I'd like (I got what I paid for!).

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
49er, what kind of bedliner (brand) did you use for your bumper? I need to redo mine because the el-cheapo spray on stuff didn't work as I'd like (I got what I paid for!).
I think you mean "Huey", I Powder coated mine.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts

·
2,248 Posts
The brand that I used is called Dupi-Color. It comes in spray cans or in quarts or gallon cans. It is very thick, almost a gel. You can get it at most major auto parts stores. It has held up very well with no lifting or peeling.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
How much did you have to use to cover your bumper and flares? Did you do a skid plate as well?

·
2,248 Posts
Get about three cans of spray, maybe only two to cover the taped edges and for a first black coat. I would buy a gallon of the liquid bedliner. You might get by with a quart but I doubt it and quarts cost more per volume and you can always use therest for touch up. Also remember to get the texture roller kit, (should be right by the bed liner). I just sprayed the front skid plat black. I might put some shark teeth on the front skid plate for fun.

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
you can pick up a gallon of bedliner at walmart for $45. i have used it on 1 bumper, 2 skid plates, and a rear tire carrier. i still have 1/2 a gallon left.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I think someone dared me to do this, probably A49erfan or Phunkeydude.

I just used bed liner. First I did it on my plastic front fender after pushing some trees over to turn around on the trail when Phunkeydude broke. Then I did the back plastic bumper. After mounting the "Get Lost" bumper I did it in bed liner and then went ahead and did the fender flares. The thing about bedliner is that if you use the roller you get a nice texture. It is also easy to touch up, though I have not had any need to yet. My jeep is "Jeep Green" and I used black bedliner. Here are some pictures.

I also used self etching gray primer before I did the bed liner.

I use the same bed liner in a spray to get the edges covered and then used the roller to carefully recoat it. If you get bed liner on the body you can wipe it off with a cloth and some solvent, I used laquer thinner.

So with the self-etching gray primer...there was no need to have to sand or rough-up the paint on the flares? How is the liner holding up to flaking and fading? Your ride looks great!

·
2,248 Posts
Hey Danny,

I just did what I posted. It still looks good and as I mentioned it can be easily touched up if it gets rubbed off on a tree or rock or in Phunkeydudes case a "Pink Jeep"

·
Registered
602 Posts
Hey Danny,

I just did what I posted. It still looks good and as I mentioned it can be easily touched up if it gets rubbed off on a tree or rock or in Phunkeydudes case a "Pink Jeep"
That looks awesome. So you just:
a) cleaned and dried the vehicle
b) sprayed on the self etching primer (on the flares)
c) rolled on the bedliner

How long did the flares take you? What about inside the little bolt-hole area of the flares....you just painted all in there as well?

·
2,248 Posts
I did first clean the flares with a cloth with lacquer thinner to get the wax off. I then used primer and then spray bedliner to get good coverage next to the tape and finally rolled on the bed liner. I cut small pieces of masking tape to cover the chrome bolts.

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
Huey, I used that to coat the bed when I had my Ram and my Dakota before that.One idea I had was one I saw someone do on tv. A customizer here in Michigan customized cars for a Speed Channel show called Payback.
They took a certain Jeep wannabe vehicle, H2, and they took to a shop that does Line-X bedliners. The shop sprayed the bumpers, the lower half of the doors and the wheel flares with Line-X. That stuff is so tough the Military uses it to coat cinder block buildings to make them blast resistant. The only drawback is if they get it where you don't want it you have to use an air chisel to get it off. I thought it would be neat to do a dark gray on my Black XK in the same places you painted.

·
2,248 Posts
Someone dared me to do the lower half of the doors too. I thought I would stop while I was ahead. The latest pictures of the Commander have taken on a military look with the decals and the new NATO gas can on the rear.

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
You should have. I would have looked really good if you did especially with the chrome trim you have. If I do the Line-X thing, I would do the lower part of the doors also. I think I would leave the door moulding black or get the chrome trim but I would have the rocker cover Line-Xed. But I must say. I like what you have done with it.

You got to quit letting Phunkey & 49er get to you.lol

1 - 20 of 24 Posts