Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to know if anyone has undergone the process of painting their rims. I would like to paint my stock aluminum ones to black but I've heard horror stories of people having terrible flake, bubbles/bumps, and fade outs. I like the stock rim pattern and dont have enough cash to go out and buy expensive ones.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Painted no... Powder coat would be better. Although I have still heard a few stories of it not holding up over time either (fading, etc)

·
Registered
564 Posts
CICO7 painted his, and they look nice, he did it a while ago and they still look good.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like the powder coated look and I've researched how to strip aluminum rim clear coat. Requires a lot of labor hours to properly strip, prime, paint, and clear coat. Even if I wanted a true matte black on it like a powder coat the clear coat would gloss it up...And if it's not clear coated, it's not protected.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Here is what his look like:

Used Rustoleum Black Laquer

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
those look pretty sick. im just worried about durability offroad. I've already scratched the hell out of one rim when i got stuck in mud w/out my new tires. Giant circular scratches around the whole thing :)

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I would suggest doing the same a CICO with black laquer. You may want to use an adheasion promoter prior to paint. You can also use a clear laquer on top for a little more protection. I don't suggest painting in an inclosed space but it would not be a bad idea to let them dry in a confined area that is warm, laquer dries nicer when its warmer.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Here, I am not the first to paint the wheels, I did it back in May I think.
They got dirty 4 wheeling, but I have washed the Jeep several times and they still look good.
The lug nuts didnt like it very much when I rotated the wheels, but I have more paint! It is an easy touch up.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I believe that datwistedscorpian was the first one to paint his rims. I haven't seen him in here in a while.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
did you take the time to take off the rubber, or did you chance it with painters tape outlines?

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
When i first painted the wheels, I was adding spacers. I took them off, cleaned them very well then used the blue painters tape to block the rubber. The paint that did get on the rubber came off quickly, but the was not much of it.

I rotated the wheels a couple weeks ago and checked the lug nuts. I touched them up again. But mainly just a shot to the lug nuts when i put them back on.

Clean well, paint slow and many coats.

Cano88 did his shortly after I did mine : http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showpost.php?p=54038&postcount=1

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did you need to sand and put a coat of primer on first? One of my rims is badly scratched up, no real dents or chips, but definetly scratched. I'm just worried about an uneven coating or flaking because I didn't start with a smooth even surface.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts