Jeep Commander Forum banner

What paint color should I paint my Jeep Commander?

• Black

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Flat (Matte) Black

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • Gunmetal Gray

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • Leave it White!

Votes: 9 25.7%

• Total voters
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my Jeep with a few dings and scratches and have incurred another nice door ding the other day so I will be painting my beloved Jeep within the next couple of weeks and I'm having a difficult time deciding on what to go with. It is currently white, which is more of an off-white if anything. When I was looking for the Jeep, I really wanted to get it in black, so black is my first option.

However, I kind of want to do something different. So that brought up either a flat (matte) black or a gunmetal gray. So I thought I would ask you guys what you all thought. Here's an initial pic of what my truck looks like as of now. I need to take another pic though as I've added chrome door covers and black rain guards as well.

Not exactly a fan of the wheels on this but a good example of Matte Black on a Jeep...

Best example I could find of what I mean by Gunmetal...

What do you guys think???

·
Registered
16 Posts
Primer grey is cool! When I was in high school my '80 cj-7 was 90% primer.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Would you be doing a legit paint job? Meaning, you would have the door jambs, under the hood, and less visible areas painted?

I would not do flat black, it's so played out beyond the point of being cool.

I think a cool metallic gun metal/black finish would look awesome on a Commander.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
How about black chrome ? Betcha' nobody else has that.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I do not see any flaws in your paint. I have so many scratches (from the trails) in mine. I would stick with white unless you are getting a legit door jambs and all paint job that is going to cost a lot of money. Then in that case I would do Jeep Rescue Green.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Would you be doing a legit paint job? Meaning, you would have the door jambs, under the hood, and less visible areas painted?

I would not do flat black, it's so played out beyond the point of being cool.

I think a cool metallic gun metal/black finish would look awesome on a Commander.
Yes, this would be a legit paint job by a guy I know that did some clean-up work on my Infiniti. :)

Looks like it's neck and neck between keeping it white and going with Gunmetal. :lol:

·
Registered
542 Posts
A two-tone of matte black and gloss black would be different.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Flat Dark Green; a.k.a. Forest Green

Someone had pics up of a Commander repainted like that, it looked like a magazine or club vehicle.

If you go flat paint or black, something to consider for the CHROME; BLACK CHROME. Ever seen polished hematite, Black Chrome looks like it, very shinny like chrome, but has a black base, at some angles it looks silver/black, other angles like super glossy wet black and other angles like silver reflective chrome with a black base underneath.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Have you considered doing a Wrap? A Friend of a Friend had thier G8 wrapped in matte black, It turned out frickin sweet! Plus if you were to get tired of that "Trend" Its easy to switch it up unlike a complete paint job?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Have you considered doing a Wrap? A Friend of a Friend had thier G8 wrapped in matte black, It turned out frickin sweet! Plus if you were to get tired of that "Trend" Its easy to switch it up unlike a complete paint job?
How much does something like that generally run?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Id have to ask but I know the wraps on our Savana service trucks cost $1900 installed so I would guess somewhere around there?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've decided I'm going to paint my sportbike the matte black first to see how it turns out and then make my decision on the truck after that. The guy is only going to charge me $250 for the bike, so not really losing out on it anyway. Even though it's my favorite color, black/yellow, I'm kind of bored with it now and want something unique (in Memphis) that no one else has really done. :)

·
Registered
953 Posts
Camel Trophy yellow with navy blue accents!

;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts