Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone have any hints or anything they have learned from painting wheels. The do's and dont's, what paint to use, and such

·
Registered
696 Posts
I personally think the do's are buy wheels. The don'ts are don't paint stock wheels! It becomes a hassle. They chip, scratch, etc. It could become a job that has to be done and done again and again to look good. My friends STI has wheels that have been painted at least three times because you can see at least three colors when looking at them close. Let alone the touch up jobs of the same color that you cannot see.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Well, I wanted black wheels but did not have the funds to buy some.
So I painted what I had.

I am not dissappointed with the way they look.

I would really like Cragar soft 8 but have not found any in a 17. I dont
to go bigger.

As long as you use the same paint, hard to see the differences.

If you are a street jeeper, then you probably wont rub it off or scratch it.

By the way, I am glad I havent seen anyone paint thier wheels something like,
Red, to match thier XK. I did see a ghastly white one though.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I am considering painting my stock wheels. I haven't decided on black or grey. My Commander is navy blue, so I am still pondering. I like cico 7's paint results, and have the same exact wheels. I may leave the lugnuts chrome. I figure they will be scratched up after a few removals otherwise.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
I am considering painting my stock wheels. I haven't decided on black or grey. My Commander is navy blue, so I am still pondering. I like cico 7's paint results, and have the same exact wheels. I may leave the lugnuts chrome. I figure they will be scratched up after a few removals otherwise.
You can buy black lugnuts. There was another thread here on protecting
your nuts. If you palce a plastic bag over the nut before you remove it,
the bag protects the finish....Or.....keep your spray can handy.....

If you want the lugs chrome, cool. But don't let the idea of scratched
nuts keep you from painting them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts