Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have managed to set my alarm off a couple of times and it is annoying, as it should be. Both times my keys were in my pocket and somehow I pressed it just right.

So is there a way to disable the panic alarm permanently?

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Take out the battery!!!:rofl:

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Superglue the button.

Remove the horn.

Take both sets of keys out of your pocket.

Pull the fuse.

Take your keys off the fob.

Get an alarm with remote that doesnt have a panic buttom.

Have you ever known of anyone who set the alarm off in a panic?

·
Administrator
15,201 Posts
cico7 said:
Have you ever known of anyone who set the alarm off in a panic?
No, but plenty that have been in a panic trying to shut it off (including me).

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Hence the term "panic alarm": you're in a panic to shut it off due to public embarrassment!

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
It is very useful if you have a problem with cats enjoying your warm hood overnite.

If you hit the panic, they scatter like sparrows.
If you do it two times in as many days, cat footprint problem disappears.
Beyond that, I agree with all above answers.

Might be useful if you tend to lose your car in a parking lot, but tends to scare Hell out of anyone walking past it at that moment! I might add this is strong potential for damage to you or your property depending on that persons demeaner.

That is all ..................Rob

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Superglue the button. --That would work

Remove the horn.-- Might be illegal.

Take both sets of keys out of your pocket.--Would if I could. Some people I work with have been known to move vehicles around.

Pull the fuse.--Which one?

Take your keys off the fob.--I never thought about that. You could leave the key in the vehicle.

Get an alarm with remote that doesnt have a panic buttom--The fob in question is the one from Jeep. It has lock, unlock, rear window, and panic buttons.

·
Administrator
15,201 Posts
jcoulter said:
I have managed to set my alarm off a couple of times and it is annoying, as it should be. Both times my keys were in my pocket and somehow I pressed it just right.

So is there a way to disable the panic alarm permanently?
Open the key case by removing the tiny phillips screw and prying the case open with a screw driver. Remove the circuit board and you will see four little rubber "bumps" on the insiside of the buttons that make contact with the circuit board when you press the buttons. Cut away the bump that is on the panic button and that should take care of it.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
people move your cars at work?

A few years ago, I was sitting in a restaurant eating and some kids come by talking and stop in front of my jeep. They started relaxing and looking around and I thougt, they are going to sit on my car!! How dare they...so I told my wife to watch this.....as soon as they settled, I hit the panic button and watched them jump and run....it was funny!.

A few minutes later, they settled down and I could see them start to relax again....and I knew they started looking around, touching the jeep, pushing a little, leaning.....ok now they are sitting/leaning again...so i hit the panic button again and up they jumped.....We were rolling!!! They scatterd...and did not come back.

Like jeep5253 said, I have been in a panic many times trying to shut the darn thiing up!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah once a guy left his keys laying around and some people moved his truck across the island, about 1/2 mile. I would be so pissed off.

This same group was know to decorate cars on birthdays. They hit me on mine. I went out at lunch and cleaned it all off. They went out later and did it again. After denying that they did it again I called my boss and threatened to file a report with the police. Since I work on an Army base it's not the normal police.

That was the last time anyone's car has been decorated. I know, I know I'm a fun sponge but this is the best vehicle I've ever owned so I'm a little protective.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Ummm, dont press the button??? :rofl: I think once you get used to where the buttons are, you wont have a problem. Much to the chagrin of my teenage daughter, the primariy lock/unlock button FOB I had for my last car was exactly where the Panic button is on the Jeep FOB. After a couple months, I got used to it. Heck, I usually forget where I park so it came in handy for me ;-)

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
It is very useful if you have a problem with cats enjoying your warm hood overnite.

If you hit the panic, they scatter like sparrows.
If you do it two times in as many days, cat footprint problem disappears.
Beyond that, I agree with all above answers.

Might be useful if you tend to lose your car in a parking lot, but tends to scare Hell out of anyone walking past it at that moment! I might add this is strong potential for damage to you or your property depending on that persons demeaner.

That is all ..................Rob
Thats funny! I never thought about that trick. My neighbors cat will not be happy I have learned this.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts