Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone had any experience with this brand?
http://www.oeradio.com/product_CH-4100.html

It looks like a good alternative to retrofitting an REC unit and offers several more add-on features (dual zone, iPod, 5.1, in dash DVD, GPS, etc). For around $350 it seems like a great bargain for something that fits in with the OEM style!

Attachments

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Well I am about to find out how good this unit really is, cause I just bought one!
I tracked down a guy that was part of the original business (OEM Radio is now closed) and got a few insights to the piece;
It originally sold on Crutchfield for around $1100, and was offered at several dealerships as an aftermarket option. With the company closed they are just liquidating the remaining units.
The parking brake feature has no internal override, so a simple ground will allow you (your passenger) to watch movies in motion.
Same with the NAV- type and drive.
There is no RDS (so song titles won't display from the radio), but they include an iPod cord that imports display/control to the headunit.
Since it was designed for the Mopar group, no extra wire harness is needed- plug and play!

All in all it sounded like a solid unit, so I decided to be my own guinea pig. $400 shipped for both the headunit and NAV module- will update when it gets here next Wednesday!

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Help: 12V Acc Sources

Okay, I threw this one at Meatball, but he is MIA right now and my new stereo gets here tomorrow.
I need a 12V, 10A non-CAN Acc power line for the head unit, and then one (or two) for the headrest/overhead screens. I was planning on tapping into the driver's side power outlet since it's right there, but down the road I want to add seat heaters (ideally second row too) and believe this is where they draw power as well. How many accessories can be safely run off one outlet? For all those who have done either install, what sources did you utilize?

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Just pull another wire from the battery when you install your seat warmers if you think it will be an over kill.

You can tie into the wires under the second row seat for those warmers if needed.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just pull another wire from the battery when you install your seat warmers if you think it will be an over kill.

You can tie into the wires under the second row seat for those warmers if needed.
Simple solutions always elude me. Thanks. So you think tap the head unit and screens from the driver's socket, then run one new main to four capillary wires for the seat warmers? It sounds like you reference some seat-warmer wires already under the second row, but I know I'm not that lucky.

·
2,248 Posts
Remember to put a fuze in the new line. A dead short can start a fire and ruin your day.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Simple solutions always elude me. Thanks. So you think tap the head unit and screens from the driver's socket, then run one new main to four capillary wires for the seat warmers? It sounds like you reference some seat-warmer wires already under the second row, but I know I'm not that lucky.
I would power the head unit from the existing head unit power source. Power the front seat warmers from the switched power socket so your seats are off if the motor is not running and power the rear seats from any existing hot wire under the second row seats which is where things like the sat receiver are located.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...that sounds like a great plan, but if I understand correctly, the power source for the OEM radio is CAN/BUS controlled (why it can stay on after the key is out and shut off when a door opens) and won't work for the aftermarket unit, which really throws a stick in my spokes. Will probably tap the switched power up front for now, and worry about the screens and warmers when they get here (and redo things if needed). It is nice to know that there is a hot wire under the second row, though. That will definitely come in handy for something!

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Sounds like a plan, keep us posted on the project.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright, getting ready to put this stuff in! The NAV unit calls for a GROUND, 12V, and ACC; does that mean a constant 12V and a switched 12V?

·
Registered
953 Posts
Alright, getting ready to put this stuff in! The NAV unit calls for a GROUND, 12V, and ACC; does that mean a constant 12V and a switched 12V?
Definitely. Your switched power (ACC) is for regular radio operation while the 12V constant power maintains radio memory like preset stations and the like.

:eek:rangehat:

BTW, aren't there any ready made harnesses from Metra or Peripheral that would make this easier for you?

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Alright, install only took around 8 hours, but spread over 9 days of late night disassembly and reassembly so that my wife never had to see Jeep guts all over the garage. According to my diagram this was an easy install, but for all the diagram's accuracy, it lies about the effort required to make it look like such.

In the end I ran two wires from the battery: one for the NAV module and one for the relay. I tapped the driver's socket to trigger the relay, and then ran two ACC lines: one for the head unit and one for the NAV module. Chassis grounds for all three. I guess looking back the only really hard part was routing the 15Pin NAV cable through the center console and beneath the 1 foot stretch of carpet to under the second row seats. This was the easiest LOOKING part of the job, but wound up requiring the complete removal of the second row to properly lay the wires. 6 bolts, 3 hours, very heavy.
Since the relay is rated at 30A, and the NAV ACC only draws 0.7A, when the time comes to add the rear monitor I will probably try to just add it to the existing relay and adjust the fuse setup. Seat warmers will probably get their own relay circuit.

Thanks again for everyone's advice along the way. As soon as I get all my tools cleaned out of the Jeep I'll snap some real fotos of the new system and wiring.

Attachments

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
COMPLETED! well, for now...

More Pics...

All in all I'm very satisfied with this stereo. It looks completely stock, boasts a ton of features, and came with more accessories than I expected (remotes, A/V cables, iPod cord, auxiliary adapters, etc)! The DVD picture is surprisingly clear and viewable for the little screen, and the NAV unit included all the hardware plus SD card reader to update the maps whenever!
If I were to get real picky and flaunt the aspects I think could use some revision, it would only be these:

The backlit wheels are not the identical color to the rest of the center stack.
The stereo does not remain on without the truck in ACC/On (not CAN/BUS controlled).
There is no RDS song info display.
With the Bluetooth in automatic pickup mode, any use of your phone (text, calculator, phonebook, etc.) mutes the stereo in preparation for an anticipated call. I don't know if this is just my phone, though.
The Blutooth phonebook imports numbers only, not names (guess I should learn my mom's number, huh).
And lastly, there is SO MUCH packed into the little screen that it takes (is taking) practice learning how to navigate the touchscreen. Right now it is definitely safer for my passenger to scroll through songs or program directions, but maybe as I acclimate to the unit it will become more natural.

But for $400 I really feel like I got a lot to work with. Adding the rear screen will be nice and 5.1 surround could really keep me entertained for awhile (install and afterwords). I would definitely recommend to a friend.

Attachments

·
Banned
90 Posts
Nice job Kansas, looks like a professional installation, very clean. I have a 2006 REC unit, which is not a touch screen. I have to use the knob to select names, which takes a while to enter letters. You can move around quickly on a map using it as a joystick, which makes some things quicker, but touch screens are quicker. It's good to know that there are after market options. Did you install screens in the headrests also? Do the movies still play when the jeep is moving? Is Chili's one of your favorites or just a coincidence?

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice job Kansas, looks like a professional installation, very clean. I have a 2006 REC unit, which is not a touch screen. I have to use the knob to select names, which takes a while to enter letters. You can move around quickly on a map using it as a joystick, which makes some things quicker, but touch screens are quicker. It's good to know that there are after market options. Did you install screens in the headrests also? Do the movies still play when the jeep is moving? Is Chili's one of your favorites or just a coincidence?
I am going to add a flip-down screen soon, but haven't decided which one to buy yet. Any suggestions? The headrest screens were my first thought, but my goal is to have everything look high end "stock," and the headrest screens just looked too pimp-my-ride. I grounded the e-brake wire so we can watch movies on the go though; very cool, but much harder to ignore as the driver than I thought. The dual zone function will definitely be handy for that. And Chili's is just a coincidence- the map came preloaded with all sorts of locations. I have yet to program my favorites, like the parts store and home depot!

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Nice job! (I enlarged your picture)

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice job! (I enlarged your picture)
Thanks! Maybe merge with the other thread with the stereo info for anyone that's looking to swap?... I kind of got this project spread all over the place!

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Thanks! Maybe merge with the other thread with the stereo info for anyone that's looking to swap?... I kind of got this project spread all over the place!
If you can PM me the two links it would help, lots of threads to sort through.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Everything required to add the NAV module was included with the NAV package. Everything has worked great so far!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts