Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Wondering if anyone has ever run into an issue like this.

Bought my Commander a few months ago. Has a nice aftermarket stereo setup, but no sound...so I look around and the previous owner has pulled the aftermarket amplifier out. No biggie, I'll just replace it (all the wiring was still present, so should be a piece of cake). Buy an amp, hook it up, yay tunes!

Now here is where I'm running into the issue. Somehow the inclusion of the amplifier is causing my battery to drain after about 2 days of not driving (the Commander is my play car, have a small car for work commute). So I assume there is an issue with the wiring. I replace the lines from the battery to the amp, the amp ground and the remote turn on...still drains. I switched the remote line to the left hand keyed power outlet in the console...still drains. Now I've disconnected the amp and I'm seeing what the end result will be. Obviously the previous owner was able to make it work...and it'd be nice to have a radio to listen to, as opposed to mud tire growl all the time.

Has anyone had any experience with trying to track down a parasitic drain?

The battery checked ok, but twice I've gotten a low voltage CEL when it's attempted to turn over.

I'm shying away from the alternator, because I've not been running the Jeep - so its had no chance to charge.

I'm guessing that it's possibly a short inside the amp, but I can't open it without voiding the warranty...

Could it possibly have anything to do with the canbus system?

Any thoughts or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

·
Registered
25 Posts
You need to put a multimeter on it and pull fuses, one at a time, to see what is draining the battery. It might not be the amp.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
205 Posts
many aftermarket amplifiers require a relay to drop out the power to them when the stereo is turned off. If the amplifier remains powered on with the key turned off it will drain the battery. the wiring may not be correct for your amplifier.

·
Banned
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
many aftermarket amplifiers require a relay to drop out the power to them when the stereo is turned off. If the amplifier remains powered on with the key turned off it will drain the battery. the wiring may not be correct for your amplifier.
That's part of it...according to the power led's on the amp, it is off.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Well disconnect the amplifier and see if the parasitic drain improves, thus you'll know if its the problem or not.

A couple of questions on the AMP?
Is it OEM or aftermarket Amp?
How is it wired? Straight to the battery with the blue lead from the stereo to turn it on/off?

Have you checked your battery voltages? Have you checked your Ignition Off Draw with a multi-meter to see what it actually is?

Personally, I thought I had the same problem in my Commander (Aftermarket Stereo but no AMP), it really turned out to be I got two battery's in a row bad from Walmart. At least in my experience, the Walmart Battery in the Commander's size is just inferior quality, both of them went bad within 6 months. I've had other Walmart Battery's in the more common sizes and never had a problem, so it may just be the uncommon size for the Commander that is a problem for Walmart's Brand. And both of them would operate just fine, unless I left the car off for more than 24 Hours, then the battery would go dead.

Instead of going for a 3rd Walmart Battery under warranty, I just went and got a different brand, and sure enough, no more problems, been two years and the battery still going strong and not going dead.

But the proper troubleshooting would be to get a multi-meter and set it up to measure current and put the leads in series between the positive battery post and positive battery cable. Read the amp draw.

·
Banned
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good advice, Mongo. Today was day 2 of the amp disconnected and no start off of a full charge. I'll go get the battery tested and start working my way from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts