Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought the Commander and noticed the battery was brand new... thinking welp, at least that should last a while. :laugh2:

Turns out the used stealership threw the battery at it because it had a parasitic draw issue and wanted it to start consistently while I was looking the car over. Two mornings later and the battery was dead.... and I mean dead dead. Not even a hint of interior light glow. :surprise:

Ok, lets get out the multimeters.....

Locked/closed everything down, check
Disconnect hood alarm switch, check
Manually closed driver door latch while open, check
Hooked up the multimeter in series on the neg side, check

2.50 to 3.00 AMP FLUCTUATING PARASITE!!!!!! Im talking full amps and not milliamps!

Hmmm kay, Perhaps this dude just needs a while to sleeeeeep. Nope, came back an hour later and its still reading the same draw. :surprise:

Disconnect alternator cable, no change
Pull every fuse under the hood one by one, nothing

Then starting on the bottom row working my way up on the fuse panel under the dash......... BAM! Top row 15a fuse. :nerd:

Seems the sunroof is drawing an ungodly amount of power. Leaving the fuse out for now... who needs an opening sunroof!?!

Im not certain if its the switch or the motor, but Im calling it good for now. :grin2:

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Just bought the Commander and noticed the battery was brand new... thinking welp, at least that should last a while. :laugh2:

Turns out the used stealership threw the battery at it because it had a parasitic draw issue and wanted it to start consistently while I was looking the car over. Two mornings later and the battery was dead.... and I mean dead dead. Not even a hint of interior light glow. :surprise:

Ok, lets get out the multimeters.....

Locked/closed everything down, check
Disconnect hood alarm switch, check
Manually closed driver door latch while open, check
Hooked up the multimeter in series on the neg side, check

2.50 to 3.00 AMP FLUCTUATING PARASITE!!!!!! Im talking full amps and not milliamps!

Hmmm kay, Perhaps this dude just needs a while to sleeeeeep. Nope, came back an hour later and its still reading the same draw. :surprise:

Disconnect alternator cable, no change
Pull every fuse under the hood one by one, nothing

Then starting on the bottom row working my way up on the fuse panel under the dash......... BAM! Top row 15a fuse. :nerd:

Seems the sunroof is drawing an ungodly amount of power. Leaving the fuse out for now... who needs an opening sunroof!?!

Im not certain if its the switch or the motor, but Im calling it good for now. :grin2:
@LooseCannon ;

First off, Welcome to the forum;

Sunroofs are pretty notorious for causing a variety of issues on Commanders from electrical issues like yours, to various kinds of water leaks from bad seals or clogged sunroof drains; I'm thankful I found one of those rare XK's that doesn't have a sunroof. Good job on tracking down that culprit fuse though.

Based on what you described above, it sounds like that fuse is contained in the junction block;

Here is an excellent thread with pics & pdf instructions on ALL of the fuses & circuits that pass through the junction block & how to remove & replace the junction block, if you so choose;

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/10-electronics-nav-discussion/55657-junction-block-explained.html

·
Banned
17 Posts
Nice work on finding it. I legitimately forget that I have a sunroof sometimes, I use it so little. As far as a fix, hopefully it's the switch. Otherwise you are pulling the head panel which sucks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is the block prone to fail across several circuits? Is this something thats caused by clogged sunroof drains?

Honestly, I have zero intentions of ever using the sunroof, and like others, I prefer not to have one at all.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Is the block prone to fail across several circuits? Is this something thats caused by clogged sunroof drains?

Honestly, I have zero intentions of ever using the sunroof, and like others, I prefer not to have one at all.
The junction block can fail across more than one circuit; I wouldn't speculate as to the cause, there could be a couple of different reasons, but, a water leak could be a possibility.

If a junction block was to get wet from a water leak somewhere, the end result wouldn't be good and you'd probably have problems with more than just one fuse/circuit.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gotcha..

Im guessing Ill hold off on replacing it until I see more issues from circuits on the block. Im suspecting this issue was caused by either the switch, or the sunroof motor. I would compare it to rolling down a window and you keep holding down indefinitely on the button.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A model with no sunroof.... that would be nice. Must be rare as I thought it was standard!

This makes me think about using windshield adhesive to permanently seal the darn thing for all eternity. 0:)

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
A model with no sunroof.... that would be nice. Must be rare as I thought it was standard!

This makes me think about using windshield adhesive to permanently seal the darn thing for all eternity. 0:)
It is rare, there are very few Commanders on the road that don't have sunroofs. I consider myself pretty lucky in that regard. It gives me a little more structural integrity too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
From doing all my own work on the BMW 545i and my wifes Landrover Discovery including programming using INPA software, I should be able to keep this one on the road for a while. :smile2:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts