Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, so I've been skimming the posts that may relate to my issues but I'm coming up a little short on answers. The parking assist feature doesn't seem to be working. I'm a pretty good driver and I park decently but I should still be getting some notice while parking. Now I have somewhat checked things out but not all the way. Before I go any further I'll state the obvious. The park assist button on the module does not turn the system off. The button seems stiff to push in. It does not engage. I get no lights on the rear internal display. I get no audible sound either. I have no dash light showing the system is off.
I do not know the history of the XK before I bought it. I only know what we have repaired or replaced on it since I bought it back in early Sept. of 2019.
When the Jeep was hit in the rear and I had to replace the bumper cover. I also had to replace a couple of the sensors. Thankfully the used bumper cover came with them. When we replaced the bumper cover we inspected the lines and the sensors because we had it all apart. I don't believe the park assist system was working before the hit and run. Anyhow none of that matters really I just want to get it fixed since it's not working.

Question 1) Could it be as simple as the unit being turned off in the vehicle computer
Question 2) Could there be possible wire damage but yet no computer response from unit not working
Question 3) Could this be related to possible E-brake issues
Question 4) If any of the sensors were not working, wouldn't the system relay that to the dash or to the rear inside lights

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Hi, so I've been skimming the posts that may relate to my issues but I'm coming up a little short on answers. The parking assist feature doesn't seem to be working. I'm a pretty good driver and I park decently but I should still be getting some notice while parking. Now I have somewhat checked things out but not all the way. Before I go any further I'll state the obvious. The park assist button on the module does not turn the system off. The button seems stiff to push in. It does not engage. I get no lights on the rear internal display. I get no audible sound either. I have no dash light showing the system is off.
I do not know the history of the XK before I bought it. I only know what we have repaired or replaced on it since I bought it back in early Sept. of 2019.
When the Jeep was hit in the rear and I had to replace the bumper cover. I also had to replace a couple of the sensors. Thankfully the used bumper cover came with them. When we replaced the bumper cover we inspected the lines and the sensors because we had it all apart. I don't believe the park assist system was working before the hit and run. Anyhow none of that matters really I just want to get it fixed since it's not working.

Question 1) Could it be as simple as the unit being turned off in the vehicle computer
Question 2) Could there be possible wire damage but yet no computer response from unit not working
Question 3) Could this be related to possible E-brake issues
Question 4) If any of the sensors were not working, wouldn't the system relay that to the dash or to the rear inside lights
Jerry; Sounds to me like you might need to replace the park assist module - as it seems that your is not working at all;

The park assist module is located under the 2nd row seat;

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/5-general-commander-discussion/68289-service-parking-assist-system-3.html

Looking back on it, it definitely seems you have a lot of different electrical & electronics issues going on (like with your remote start and now this) you may want to inspect your junction block, to see if it has ever gotten wet at some point in your XK's life; If it has, you could have a real corroded mess in there that would definitely cause you multiple electrical/electronics issues - all of these stiff/sticking switches you keep finding, are also indicative of being exposed to a lot of moisture.

If your XK has ever had a leak where water has been coming out of the A-Pillar handle, there is a very real chance your junction block may have gotten wet; I would definitely recommend going over your junction block and give it a thorough inspection. Pull all of the fuses, make sure that they're good/not blown and inspect the fuse sockets/holders for rust and/or corrosion.

Since you bought this XK at an insurance auction, it's pretty fair to expect the worst; Typically, pretty much everybody, who has shown up on this forum with an XK that was picked up at auction (and there have been several) have found out almost unanimously, that there XK was in pretty rough shape - hence why they are being sold at auction, cheap.

In fact, I would probably inspect your junction block first, before you do anything with the park assist module - or anything else related to troubleshooting any more issues with electronics or electrical problems.

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/10-electronics-nav-discussion/55657-junction-block-explained.html

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited by Moderator)
Jerry; Sounds to me like you might need to replace the park assist module - as it seems that your is not working at all;

The park assist module is located under the 2nd row seat;

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/5-general-commander-discussion/68289-service-parking-assist-system-3.html

Looking back on it, it definitely seems you have a lot of different electrical & electronics issues going on (like with your remote start and now this) you may want to inspect your junction block, to see if it has ever gotten wet at some point in your XK's life; If it has, you could have a real corroded mess in there that would definitely cause you multiple electrical/electronics issues - all of these stiff/sticking switches you keep finding, are also indicative of being exposed to a lot of moisture.

If your XK has ever had a leak where water has been coming out of the A-Pillar handle, there is a very real chance your junction block may have gotten wet; I would definitely recommend going over your junction block and give it a thorough inspection. Pull all of the fuses, make sure that they're good/not blown and inspect the fuse sockets/holders for rust and/or corrosion.

Since you bought this XK at an insurance auction, it's pretty fair to expect the worst; Typically, pretty much everybody, who has shown up on this forum with an XK that was picked up at auction (and there have been several) have found out almost unanimously, that there XK was in pretty rough shape - hence why they are being sold at auction, cheap.

In fact, I would probably inspect your junction block first, before you do anything with the park assist module - or anything else related to troubleshooting any more issues with electronics or electrical problems.

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/10-electronics-nav-discussion/55657-junction-block-explained.html
I totally agree and thank you for the confirmation. The more I dive into all of this the more I am finding. Yesterday's weather was great and gave me time to get some things done on it. Today it's cold and snow on the ground. I'm anxious to receive the cable and get to town on checking the computer system.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked the Jumper Box and it looks good. No rust or signs of water damage. The fuses that I checked seem to be in good shape. I have an hour to do some research online about the fuses specific to the parking assist.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
I checked the Jumper Box and it looks good. No rust or signs of water damage. The fuses that I checked seem to be in good shape. I have an hour to do some research online about the fuses specific to the parking assist.
That's certainly encouraging news.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Here is the code for the park assist. I recall seeing it in another tread but I have since closed that tab in my browser.
O.K. Do you have that Brake assist code? I haven't heard of that one before - I'd be curious to look it up and see the details about it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts