Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
New to the site and have owned my commander for a couple of months.Now it's time to sort out a couple of gremlins.
It's a stock 2007 hemi with 75k miles.
When purchased the park assist button was stuck in the off position(illuminated) and a service park assist message on the dash display.I have noticed that when driving the system will switch it's self on(ind light off) when it has switched it's self on you can happily toggle the switch on and off. if you pull up to an object and the front sensors activate the switch will toggle to the off state and(illuminate) then you drive off and at some point the switch will toggle on,then sometimes when you pull up to stop there will be and audible alarm and the switch will toggle off.It's not the switch that is faulty as i have checked it out. Any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Perhaps there is more than one park assist system? But the one I have, only has sensors in the rear bumper, if does nothing to warn of obstacles in the front.

I don't know, but it makes sense if the system fails its self-test it will disable itself. So, likely that is what you're seeing, the system intermittently passing or failing its self-test.

People have posted disconnecting the wires to the sensors and cleaning them with electrical cleaner and then using dielectric grease to put them together has solved their problems. As well, just cleaning the surfaces of the sensors in the bumpers.

·
Super Moderator
14,940 Posts
Perhaps there is more than one park assist system? But the one I have, only has sensors in the rear bumper, if does nothing to warn of obstacles in the front.

I don't know, but it makes sense if the system fails its self-test it will disable itself. So, likely that is what you're seeing, the system intermittently passing or failing its self-test.

People have posted disconnecting the wires to the sensors and cleaning them with electrical cleaner and then using dielectric grease to put them together has solved their problems. As well, just cleaning the surfaces of the sensors in the bumpers.
The European Commanders have sensors in the front bumper as well as the rear bumper.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts