Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may have mentioned this one time already, but it's worth repeating. The "Parking Assistant" is one of the best features of my Commander. When I'm backing up to hook up to my trailer. I maneuver strictly by the overhead lights in the rear overhead that part of the system. By keeping the same number of lights on either side, I back right down the old slot. When I get the first red, I "creep" a little further back until I got the 2nd red where I then stop.

When I get out of the vehicle and go back to the trailer, the trailer coupler is directly over the ball that plugs into the receiver hitch!

Whether it's the length of the rod that the ball is on or something about the trailer, I don't know. All I know is it works EVERYTIME.

This chore was always a pain before unless I had someone back at the trailer directing left and right and when to stop. Usually my marshals were just a bit off. If I were doing it by myself, I would usually have to stop and go back to take a look 2 or 3 or maybe more times before the vehicle was in the right place for the hookup. The parking assist is a great help and I don't get pissed off anymore when everything is not right. Now it's almost fun hooking up. I wonder if anyone else is getting the same great results I'm getting?

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have not had to hook up my boat yet but hope I get the same results. In the past it was always forward and back a few times as well even with someone back there guiding me.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I was not aware that the lights on each side light at diffferent rates. I back towards a fence in my drive way and they are always been the same on each side. I will have to watch them more closely. I am learning a lot from this site.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Those lights are nice but my receiver trips off one side or the other entirely too often. And by the time I get to the 2nd red, my boat trailer has hit my receiver. I just open the back lift gate to get a better view. Opening the liftgate also makes backing down the ramp easier.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hal2814 said:
Those lights are nice but my receiver trips off one side or the other entirely too often. And by the time I get to the 2nd red, my boat trailer has hit my receiver. I just open the back lift gate to get a better view. Opening the liftgate also makes backing down the ramp easier.
Must either have something to do with the shape of your boat trailer (front end) or the length that your "ball" sticks out from the receiver hitch. My ball is about 9" out from the receiver and has a drop of about 6"-7".

So, in my case I go "double red" when the end of the trailer is still around 9" from my bumper. As I said in my post earlier in this thread, the lights are also very directional. As long as I keep both sets of lights the same number, I'm heading straight to my trailer connection. Again, this might be something to do with the shape of the trailers.

Maybe I'm just lucky with my setup, but when I'm "double red" on both sides, my trailer hitch is "right" over the ball AND I LIKE IT A LOT!!!

·
Registered
204 Posts
hal2814 said:

I would imagine you could get one of those mirrors they hang on the pickup tailgates and hang it from the gate with the flipper glass open. Then you should be able to see the hitch from the drivers seat, and just stow the mirror in back after your hooked up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts