Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The parking brake cable to the handle snapped on me tonight, and I need to get it fixed so the XK will pass inspection. Is the intermediate cable a dealer only item, or can I get it through Advance or another aftermarket store? I'd like to get it fixed ASAP, and to pick up the cable tomorrow if possible.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Mine has been broke almost 3 years now. Has passed every state inspection since. Not sure how but I'm not complaining

·
Registered
63 Posts
did you ever get the intermediate cable fixed? how much did it cost?

mine is snapped to and i am trying to figure out how much it will cost

·
Registered
62 Posts
Any news from anybody on this? :stickpoke:

Our cable broke this weekend (when I was driving, of course), so I get the stink-eye from the wife every time she pulls the brake lever and is reminded the cable is busted.

Help a brother out! :)

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
A quick google shearch yielded:

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/parking-brake-cable-5134701ab.html

$44.99

I'm sure if you searched more you might find a better price, as well, you look up the part number and do an ebay search you might find it even cheaper.

I've never done the job, BUT, it doesn't look that difficult, detaching/attaching the under the vehicle end is incredibly simple, just slide the anchor on the end of the cable through the opening and move it to its resting position. The other end inside the vehicle gets more complicated, but it shouldn't be more than removing the center console, releasing the auto tensioner in the parking brake handle and removing the cable. I assume its just pulled through the grommet in the floor of the car, use a little oil/WD-40/armour all to lube the cable cover as you push it through the grommet.

Releasing the auto tensioner in the parking brake handle is the tricky part, I have done it on other vehicles, but NOT a Commander. I've forgotten how its done, I think I figured it out by just look at it and moving the brake handle a bit, but I'm more mechanically inclined than most. I'll try to look up the procedure in the 2007 FSM I have tonight.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thanks Mongo!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts