Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who has replaced their parking brake shoes? I had a bear of a time dealing with the part between the shoes that attaches to the cable.
It is a tricky thing with a hooked lever that goes in the eye of the brake cable. The cable pulls on it, and the lever pivots and spreads the shoes. If you have dealt with replacing the e-brake shoes, you probably know what I am talking about.
My shoes would shift when trying to put on the springs, and the part would drop off the cable. To keep the shoe still, I resorted to using a floor jack against the bottom shoe ( the shoes are "top" and "bottom" vs "front and back" )
Is there an easier way to deal with this crappy part?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I actually ended up admitting defeat and having my mechanic do it. I certainly invented enough new swear words trying! Of course they installed the new pads and hardware as part of replacing both rear hubs so it didn't cost anything extra.....

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This part is used on other chryco vehicles. Saw a youtube on doing the e-brake shoes on a cherokee. No major problems, except the shoes on that vehicle are on the 3 and 9 o'clock positions. Maybe gravity is not our friend.
In parts search, the lever showed as being used on a dodge product as well. Perhaps another forum has an easier way for this job?
I gave up last time half way through because I was sick and tired, plus the old shoe had lots of life left.
Got back on it last weekend. Took 2 hours instead of all day. My plan was to keep one shoe in place to keep the lever from dropping. The cable still got away. Got it back on, and looped a small ratchet strap around the shoes. The cable stayed on this time. Used the hooked plier tool for the rear spring, but still had clearance issues.
I have a new plan if I run across this setup in the future:
Dental Floss.
Bind the lever in place on the cable, and torch off the floss when done.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts