Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made my move from CA to OR this Monday and got the jeep up to 15.2 mpg! Definitely a record for it since we've had it! For its reward, getting some Falken Wildpeak AT3's on her.

Now, it seems my emergency brake is not working correctly. The lever feels a little loose and the dash does not reflect whether or not the e-brake is engaged. I'll have to take the console apart and see what's going on.

Hopefully it's a simple fix!

·
Administrator
6,198 Posts
Made my move from CA to OR this Monday and got the jeep up to 15.2 mpg! Definitely a record for it since we've had it! For its reward, getting some Falken Wildpeak AT3's on her.

Now, it seems my emergency brake is not working correctly. The lever feels a little loose and the dash does not reflect whether or not the e-brake is engaged. I'll have to take the console apart and see what's going on.

Hopefully it's a simple fix!
Congrats on the successful move @BadJuju - here's a thread about a similar parking brake issue that might help you;

The SEARCH feature is a wonderful thing. :smile2:

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/9-problems-dealer-service/55697-parking-brake-does-not-stop-jeep-but-lever-doesnt-have-excessive-play.html

·
Registered
487 Posts
It might be helpful to know how the parking brake system signals the dashboard. When in the down position, a metal tab on the parking brake touches another metal tab coming up from the floor; the contact of these two metal tabs tells the system that the parking brake is disengaged, disabling the dash light. I'm not sure which way electricity flows, but I suspect the tab coming up from the floor is the ground.

Since your dash light is constantly disabled, this means that those two metal tabs must be constantly electrically connected, even when the parking brake is up. Based on your description of the problem, I suspect you may need a new brake cable; the only way I can imagine the two tabs staying in contact is if the cable snapped or frayed and was constantly touching the tab or otherwise grounding out the system.

·
Administrator
6,198 Posts
Since your dash light is constantly disabled, this means that those two metal tabs must be constantly electrically connected, even when the parking brake is up. Based on your description of the problem, I suspect you may need a new brake cable; the only way I can imagine the two tabs staying in contact is if the cable snapped or frayed and was constantly touching the tab or otherwise grounding out the system.
This was my first thought as well, which also falls in line with the symptom he described of the lever/handle feeling loose.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright, thanks gentlemen! Will looking into getting a replacement cable soon and figure it out.

·
Registered
145 Posts
The first thing I would check, is make sure the cables are not rubbing on on the rear differential.
It will wear a hole through the sheathing until the cable gets cut in half. Both sides will rub on the rear differential. If you find that is the problem. After you replace the brake cables. Wrap some rubber hose around the rubbing area. Here's a picture of mine. Mine did not cut through. But I could tell where it was starting to wear.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy, using speech to text

1 - 6 of 6 Posts