Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately, when looking at this Commander to buy, I went to pull on the hood release handle and snap, a half round piece of plastic fell on the floor mat. I broke it. Made with plastic! Anyways, he got needle nose pliers and pulled the cable to pop the hood. But now, to replace the handle, you need to buy the entire set up. Cheapest one I could find is on ebay for $47CAD shipped.

Hood Release Cable for Jeep Grand Cherokee Commander 2005-2009 55394495AB

Unless, I do some JB Weld nut job like I seen on one of the threads? But it`s winter here. Too cold. Might wait until spring?

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Parts Need Replacing

We only have 1 key as well. Found these on ebay for $27 CAD. Cheaper than going to the Dealer by a couple hundred bucks!

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Parts Need Replacing

And got a code P0430. Hoping it's the O2 sensor on bank 2 and not the catalytic converter? But, we don't have the same laws so might be able to do the dual spark plug ferrule trick? Getting 2 is cheaper than finding out you need one then, oops, another one, etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any thoughts on cheap O2 sensors? Heard they fail in a short amount of time or don't work at all?

·
Registered
147 Posts
We only have 1 key as well. Found these on ebay for $27 CAD. Cheaper than going to the Dealer by a couple hundred bucks!
Not quite sure with your year of Commander, but most Limited Commanders have a sentry ignition system. That is, there is a chip in the fob that tells the commander that it's ok to start. The dealership will need to program the commander to accept the key. But like I said your commander may not be like that.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Our Commander is a 2007. But the seller had bought keys from Amazon and ebay and was able to program it with his vehicle? I think that`s what he said? Then his daughter lost it. But he was also able to find out the code from the check engine light too. I didn't know that could be done? He turned the key on and off 5 times then one more time (6th) left the key on. The display gave code P0430. Then we Googled it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Our Commander is a 2007. But the seller had bought keys from Amazon and ebay and was able to program it with his vehicle? I think that`s what he said? Then his daughter lost it. But he was also able to find out the code from the check engine light too. I didn't know that could be done? He turned the key on and off 5 times then one more time (6th) left the key on. The display gave code P0430. Then we Googled it.
That type of key might work like that. My "key" looks like this.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I saw those on ebay too. I tried to choose one most like mine. You would need one good key already programmed to program future FOBs or your hooped.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
These differential bushings kit on ebay for $64 CAD.
I decided to buy these parts from Rock Auto. Dorman differential bushings/mounts and Westar mount. Leary of untested/tagged parts that are unbranded.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And got a code P0430. Hoping it's the O2 sensor on bank 2 and not the catalytic converter? But, we don't have the same laws so might be able to do the dual spark plug ferrule trick? Getting 2 is cheaper than finding out you need one then, oops, another one, etc.
Same with this, purchased from Rock Auto. A Bosch brand. Yes, more money up front, but don't want the possibility of failure. Besides, Rock Auto is a reputable company.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Parts Need Replacing

Ordered Mopar Stabilizer bushings from Rock Auto. Considered Moog but read some reviews. besides, Mopar ones were only $1 more.
Thought those and the differential axle bushings and mount could be done at the same time? Going to inquire tomorrow. I wish we had garage or it was summer? We'd venture to do it ourselves.

Attachments

·
Registered
338 Posts
Tried to crazy glue the small plastic half ring back on, I think I'll hot glue gun it tomorrow too? Hopefully save $50? I tired looking up the numbers inside the handle...no luck! You'd have to replaced the entire system!
Jb weld will work but you will need to add some supporting structure like a nut or something. Also, adjust your hood bumpers to minimize the pressure between latch and fenders.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Any thoughts on cheap O2 sensors? Heard they fail in a short amount of time or don't work at all?
When you buy cheap parts, you generally get exactly what you pay for.

If you want your repairs to last, buy quality OEM parts; a little more pricey yes, but well worth it in the long run.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just put on Moog ball joints upper and lower... They came highly recommeded over the generic Advance Auto stuff...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Tried to crazy glue the small plastic half ring back on, I think I'll hot glue gun it tomorrow too? Hopefully save $50? I tired looking up the numbers inside the handle...no luck! You'd have to replaced the entire system!
Soooo, that was a fail! Ended up JB Welding a few washers and grinding out a notch for the ferrule with a rotatory tool. Not the prettiest thing but you don't see it. The pic with the yellow arrows are: with the left arrow, is where the cable snaps into and the right arrow, is a little door above, opened for easier removable and installation of the molding.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Soooo, that was a fail! Ended up JB Welding a few washers and grinding out a notch for the ferrule with a rotatory tool. Not the prettiest thing but you don't see it. The pic with the yellow arrows are: with the left arrow, is where the cable snaps into and the right arrow, is a little door above, opened for easier removable and installation of the molding.
OKAAAAAAY, save your time and spend the $70-$100 for a replacement! DORMAN 912087 {#55394495AB} Stock.

Hubby broke my fix yesterday.:crying: Cheap plastic things!:notsigned:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just experienced this with my 2006 Commander. I would like to know if you were able to find the part needed, or if your fix is susccesful.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts