Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like moparsupercenter.com no longer sells the factory-style uconnect kit that comes with the mirror. Does anyone know if there is anywhere else I can buy this kit, or does anyone know the individual part numbers that I will need?

·
Super Moderator
14,916 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Can you double check that link, because I don't see a factory uconnect kit with a mirror anywhere on the jfj website.

I heard back from moparsupercenter.com and aparently they used to actually make the wiring harness but no longer make it. Can this harness not be purchased from the dealer? I assume I need the mirror, a harness of some sort, and the box that is installed behind the dash.

·
Super Moderator
14,916 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Can you double check that link, because I don't see a factory uconnect kit with a mirror anywhere on the jfj website.
Sorry, the link I gave you does not have the uconnect mirror. It just has a uconnect kit without the mirror. Do you really need to have the one that is integrated into the mirror ?

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Sorry, the link I gave you does not have the uconnect mirror. It just has a uconnect kit without the mirror. Do you really need to have the one that is integrated into the mirror ?
I have the Mopar Supercenter kit and it works great, I like the factory look. I'm sure they've stopped making the kit due to lack of demand since the vehicles it works in are already hitting 5 years or older, and newer/better solutions are available for the same price.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There's a lot that I really don't NEED to have :)

Personally, I don't like the look of wires coming out of the dash, even if done professionally and discrete --- I prefer the clean factory look. But, it sounds like that may be my only option if I can't get that wiring harness from anywhere. Bummer.

·
Super Moderator
14,916 Posts
There's a lot that I really don't NEED to have :)

Personally, I don't like the look of wires coming out of the dash, even if done professionally and discrete --- I prefer the clean factory look. But, it sounds like that may be my only option if I can't get that wiring harness from anywhere. Bummer.
I believe you also have to have a certain head unit if you are going to use the mirror.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe you also have to have a certain head unit if you are going to use the mirror.
Mine appears to be compatible. I just need to figure out where to get, or how to make the harness. I think I can come up with everything else.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine appears to be compatible. I just need to figure out where to get, or how to make the harness. I think I can come up with everything else.
if your radio has the 2 u-connect buttons at the top, then it's compatible. if not....then you'll have to switch out the head. NOT CHEAP.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
if your radio has the 2 u-connect buttons at the top, then it's compatible. if not....then you'll have to switch out the head. NOT CHEAP.
This is correct for 08, 09, and 10. 06 and 07 had the factory installed Uconnect buttons on the rear view mirror, not the radio. This set up only worked with the nav radio (REC) and the 6-disc (RAQ). Uconnect was not compatible with the single disc (RAK). So, if you want the factory look, your only option would be to purchase the required parts from a dealer ($) or try to find them from a salvage yard. I would think you would need the mirror and the harness that runs from the mirror to the radio. I have the factory Uconnect and I can also control it with the buttons on the back of the steering wheel. I don't know if this is necessary to have it work properly if you were to try and add this function to your Jeep. :eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is correct for 08, 09, and 10. 06 and 07 had the factory installed Uconnect buttons on the rear view mirror, not the radio. This set up only worked with the nav radio (REC) and the 6-disc (RAQ). Uconnect was not compatible with the single disc (RAK). So, if you want the factory look, your only option would be to purchase the required parts from a dealer ($) or try to find them from a salvage yard. I would think you would need the mirror and the harness that runs from the mirror to the radio. I have the factory Uconnect and I can also control it with the buttons on the back of the steering wheel. I don't know if this is necessary to have it work properly if you were to try and add this function to your Jeep. :eek:rangehat:
That is my understanding as well, and I do have the RAQ unit so I should be good there. Along with the mirror and harness, I believe I will also need the module that is installed in the dash.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts