Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my 06 Commander my passenger airbag off light only comes on for like 2 seconds after start up and thats it. It never comes on no matter whats on the seat, for example: a little kid, bags, or anything like that the light never comes on. In my 06 Corvette my passenger airbag off light is always on execpt when an adult sits in it, as well in my cousins 06 Mustang. Is this normal or should I take it to my dealer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Same in my 06 JC! It just stays for like 2s after starting! Any feedback from JC owners will be greatly appreciated!

Commandude

·
Registered
7 Posts
I cannot find this passenger "airbag off" light on the 2006 Commander. The 2 other posts says this "airbag off" light comes on for only 2 seconds.

could I please ask them 2 forum members and anyone else who has a 2006 model year Commander to take some digital pics of this light inthe "on" function (lit), and send me an email or post the photos to the forum list? I don't know if I'm allowed by Forum rules to post my email address on the postings. Thanks!:confused:

·
Registered
264 Posts
Mine comes on for a few seconds at start up. If someone is in the seat, it remains off. If I put my briefcase on it or the dog, the yellow light remains lit as this means some thing is on the seat and that it realizes it is to light to deploy the airbag. The light is on the far right in the center column (same line as the menu and compass).

·
Registered
527 Posts
setsail98 said:
Mine comes on for a few seconds at start up. If someone is in the seat, it remains off. If I put my briefcase one it or the dog, the yellow light remains lit as this means some thing is on the seat and that it realizes it is to light to deploy the airbag. The light is on the far right in the center column (same line as the menu and compass).
Mine does the same.

·
Registered
556 Posts
So I'm assuming if I have a 20lb weight or somthing of that sort in the seat and the light does not come on, that it is in opp? Cause my light only comes on when I start the vehicle and thats it.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
All air bags are operational if light is not on. I have a 45lb daughter that seats up front and light comes on stating air bag off!

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Dan,

If your putting weight on passenger seat between 15-45lbs I would say that you have a problem and need to take it in to get recalibrated. You definetly don't want your child seating up there and the air bag deploys. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you for all the valuable comments. Would any of you please take a minute out and photograph the light "on", and post it on the forum, or email it to me at:
[email protected] ?

I would really appreciate it! ("airbag off" light)

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
When I used the flash you could not see that the light was on. Had to turn Fstop down real low to capture light and I was not able to hold camera still;)

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Is this light visible at all when it is off? If so, my 2007 doesn't have this light. It appears to be just a blank black plastic insert there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Rubicontrail.net (and other members). That's right! No light, just a blank black dash piece. rubicontrail.net, please check your owners manual under the airbag section and "airbag off" or "advanced airbags" section. See if it talks about "airbag off" light. The 2006 owners manual talks all about it, as well as showing images of it in the owners manual. I am *told* that Daimler-Chrysler sent out a 'addendum' page to 2006 model year commander owners that this was DELETED.

I have been using Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards #208 "advanced airbags" and it shows it being phased-in on 2006 model year vehicles, but the "airbag off" light appears to be deleted from sometime in 2006-forward into the 2007 model year. I am confused by this.

2006 owners have chimed in that *they* have a light, this 2006 I am looking at does not, and 2007 owners say none at all? I tried to look it up at Jeep dealer parts counter to be told "no where here listed".

Could the 2006 Commander owners who *do* have this "airbag off" light please tell me what production date their vehicle is from the "build tag" on the drivers door jamb?

If my hunch is correct, IMO, then it not very favorable.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
You are meaning when air bag is functional? It is only eluminated when weight on passenger seat is not enough.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for sending the photo and posting it! However, I could not tell from the blurriness. I know it was challenging without a flash. How bout' a pix from a cell phone camera? It has no flash and works in lower light.

Is the yellow in the photo I see the "airbag off" light? Please advise. Thanks

·
Registered
527 Posts
randybill said:
Thank you for all the valuable comments. Would any of you please take a minute out and photograph the light "on", and post it on the forum, or email it to me at:
[email protected] ?

I would really appreciate it! ("airbag off" light)
I'm sorry, dont want to be rude, but cant you take the 5 minutes to go out to your vehicle, open your owners manual, look at the row of switches/blanks above the climate controls and turn on the key to test the system? I can understand not being able to understand the goofy system, and when the light should be on or off, but unless your house bound, and have to know right now, to not be able to locate it yourself, and repeatedly ask someone to go out and take a picture and post it is a bit too much.

I could understand if this was some obscure screw or sensor on the engine, etc. but how much more obvious can it be?

I dont know, maybe I just need another cup of coffee ;-)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would photo it if I could. it doesn't have the light like the photo that was posted and the other forums posters. This one has a blank piece of black plastic where, as I understand it, the illuminating insert piece is on the other forum posters 2006 Commanders.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am not trying to have others do work for me. I have spent a long time with repeated ignition starts. There is no light where Ranger6882 shows in his photograph, just a blank piece of black plastic insert.

Sorry to have somehow riled you. My belief is that this forum is for people to help others. If I photograph this 2006, there is nothing to show, as nothing lights up whether weight is put on it or not. Light simply is not installed.

All have a great day and thank you for your feedback.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts