Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I have a 2007 Jeep commander that leaks water when it rains. The passenger front floorboard gets several inches of water in it when it rains. I’ve taken everything apart and inspected the drain tube that runs from the sunroof, and it’s fine. It’s not cut or clogged, and it’s in the grommet that goes through the floorboard. I’d like to get this issue solved before mold starts to grow. Does anybody have any ideas?

·
Administrator
16,134 Posts
Hello all. I have a 2007 Jeep commander that leaks water when it rains. The passenger front floorboard gets several inches of water in it when it rains. I’ve taken everything apart and inspected the drain tube that runs from the sunroof, and it’s fine. It’s not cut or clogged, and it’s in the grommet that goes through the floorboard. I’d like to get this issue solved before mold starts to grow. Does anybody have any ideas?
You say you inspected the drain tubes. How did you do that? Did you try cleaning them out?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Most likely what you will need to do is perform an inspection with the sunroof open and find the two sunroof drains at each corner. Make sure they are not clogged. Down below where the grommets are, remove them and cut off the end of the grommets and re-insert them into the hole. The original grommet openings are not large enough to handle any significant water flow, so the operative procedure is to cut the ends off, allowing better water flow. You will see this when you inspect them. This is a common problem and a common fix. Youtube is filled with helpful fixes in this area. Shouldn't take more than 10 minutes per side to correct the problem.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have learned the hard way that I need to clean the sunroof drain tubes on my Commander at least once per year, or the front passenger side floor will get several inches of water in a hard rain. There is a separate drain tube at each of the four corners of the sunroof . For my Commander, the back tubes get more clogged and they are also harder to get to than the ones in the front, but make sure you clean them. I use a long and flexible trombone cleaning brush and also compressed air. As DanielDD mentioned, Youtube has videos on this.

·
Registered
2010 Jeep Commander Limited 5.7L QDII
196 Posts
Non functional drain tubes #1 wet floor cause. I have also heard of water leaking in from the roof rack rail mounting screws (if they are rusted), and top front door seals being torn causing floor board flooding. Happy hunting, and let us know what you find.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well Up4XK
My Commander leaks water and the same areas and it comes in through the sheet metal screws holding the roof rack business on to the stamped steel roof panel. AND I HAVE NO SUNROOF. A couple of years ago I pulled the roof rack off and re-bedded the rack and screws down with 3-M 5200 Slow Set adhesive. This stuff works great on my sailboat fittings and has stopped the leak from the roof rack.

·
Registered
2006 Commander, 4.7, QTII
21 Posts
I have one more possibility. My 2006 Commander had water accumulating on floor. I investigated the sunroof drains and they were clear. I looked for other leak possibilities from the windshield and under dash to no avail. Turned out the rubber door seals were leaking at the top, but sealed at the bottom. So water ran in at top of door, accumulated at bottom of door until it overflowed into the vehicle literally filling up the floor pan if it rained hard enough. So, I simply removed the rubber seal on bottom of both doors. Never had problem again. Your problem sounds just like what my problem was. Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I hope this can help but I found my water leak no sunroof on my jeep. So my jeep driver floor board would fill up with water after it rains I had the windshield cut out and redone that didn't fix it after many hours of looking I found leak its the rubber boot for the door harness if passenger side leaks on anyone else's jeep I would look at same boot I hope this helps

Couch Comfort Rectangle Wood Tints and shades Automotive lighting Font Automotive exterior Vehicle door Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Rim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts