Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Jeep Commander (Base), stock
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm installing a backup camera that is mounted above the license plate. I need to pass the camera cable and reversing wire from the headliner area into the liftgate. I expected to easily pass the wires through the existing boot, but it's a problem. I can't get the boot detached on the vehicle side, and there doesn't seem to be passage through the boot for more wires. Looking for advice on how to pass these wires.

·
Registered
105 Posts
When I installed an aftermarket camera in place of the original, I pulled the liftgate door gasket, cut the wire gasket on the outside with a razor blade, fed the cable through and removed the liftgate door trim to route the cable where it needed to go. When I was done I just taped the wire gasket where it enters the car, wrapping it up with some flex seal tape. It's still in place and still tight.

·
Registered
2006 Jeep Commander (Base), stock
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I installed an aftermarket camera in place of the original, I pulled the liftgate door gasket, cut the wire gasket on the outside with a razor blade, fed the cable through and removed the liftgate door trim to route the cable where it needed to go. When I was done I just taped the wire gasket where it enters the car, wrapping it up with some flex seal tape. It's still in place and still tight.
Thanks for the reply. In the end I hit with a "bigger hammer", solving the problem with more force. I got my fingers into one side of the boot connector to the vehicle, and got two of the retaining tabs free on one side. Then I pushed hard on the other side and managed to free the boot. With access to both sides of the boot, I pushed a chopstick through it, taped the cable to the end, and pulled it back through. The boot popped right back into place. In the end, it was slick.

I used a bracket that fastens behind the license plate, using the upper two screws. (Bracket from Amazon). The camera came with my Vantop H610 mirror-mounted Dash Cam (also from Amazon). The camera uses a 4-pin cable connector, not an RCA connector. I also needed an extension cable. Got it done today and it's working well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts