Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering where you guys get your PCV Valves. I was hoping I could get one from NAPA but nothings coming up on their website other than "universal" valves... and I believe the 5.7L is engine specific...

Looking to confirm this before I take a 30 minute drive to the dealer and pay $40 for one (just guessing that they'll be that expensive there...)

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Just wondering where you guys get your PCV Valves. I was hoping I could get one from NAPA but nothings coming up on their website other than "universal" valves... and I believe the 5.7L is engine specific...

Looking to confirm this before I take a 30 minute drive to the dealer and pay $40 for one (just guessing that they'll be that expensive there...)
Two days ago I was surfing the web looking for one myself and this is the best price I could find: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?carcode=1441542&parttype=5052&partkey=1189327&a=FRc1441542k1189327-5740525 By the time you add shipping, the drive to the dealer will probably be the cheaper option. I'll post here again if I find a 5.7 PCV valve at a better price; so far, butkus. Cheers

·
Registered
2,194 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks man.

It's actually not that bad... shipping is $3. It's about a 30 mile round trip to the dealer with about 20 traffic lights, so i'll spend $10 in gas just driving there.

...one of the reasons I HATE driving to my dealer :disappointed:

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
$23 may be cheap for a 5.7L PCV, but its awful expensive compared to other engines that the PCV usually goes for $2-$4.

Whats different with the 5.7L PCV that makes it more expensive?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its not one of the generic PCVs that are in-line with some hose connections or pressed into a rubber gasket in the manifold. .. its actually screws into a special port and is specific to Chrysler engines with this "special" port.... so they charge 10x the cost of a good old fashioned generic valve... sucks.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
My 3.3L had a PCV like that, I remember they were hard to find, but also remember it costing less than $23 though. BUT, that was a couple of years ago and likely slightly different, but same concept.

One advantage, that typed of PCV though, NO seeping oil mess on the motor like the smaller cheaper PCV pushed into the rubber grommets or hoses.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Eh I never had much of an issue.... at a few bucks a piece and less than a minute to change I kept my PCV lines new and clean.

Lol but I did have plenty of customers with messy engines.... they used to look at me like I was crazy when I'd say they need a new PCV... I think they thought I was making it up....

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Lol but I did have plenty of customers with messy engines.... they used to look at me like I was crazy when I'd say they need a new PCV... I think they thought I was making it up....
:rofl: Yes, and over on the Dodge Neon Forum, I have to keep correcting all the kids that put chrome breather filters on in replace of their PCV, because that is so much better than breathing those fumes into the engine.

Hello, if you suck the water vapor and corrosive fumes out of the crankcase intead of letting them linger, your oil will lasts twice as long and stays twice as clean, the PCV easily doubles the life the of your oil and likely your motor.

A bad PCV with conventional oil for a couple of tens of thousands of miles, and you'll likely have deposits and sludge forming all in the motor.

I also have friends look at me crazy when they see me spraying down the motor with Simple Green and hosing it all out. Wire Insulation, Seals, hoses and plastic lasts a whole lot longer when they are NOT soaking in salts, fluids, chemicals and grime. Plus, when you do get a leak, it makes it so much easier to spot the source on a clean motor, viced a massively gunked up motor.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I also have friends look at me crazy when they see me spraying down the motor with Simple Green and hosing it all out. Wire Insulation, Seals, hoses and plastic lasts a whole lot longer when they are NOT soaking in salts, fluids, chemicals and grime. Plus, when you do get a leak, it makes it so much easier to spot the source on a clean motor, viced a massively gunked up motor.

........we may have been separated at birth.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts