Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2007 4.7L

Got an ad for advance auto for $15 for 5 quarts peak motor oil and an ironworks filter. I was due for an oil change anyway and for $15 I figured it was worth a shot.

I've heard of peak antifreeze but never motor oil. Even my buddy who owns a shop has never seen peak oil.

I'm about 400 miles in and my engine seems very sluggish and my mpg dropped from mid 14's to low 13's. Pretty disappointed.

I'm tempted to drain it and put some castrol back in it. By the way I used 5w30 like I have for the last 2 years. My advice? Shell out the extra $10 for a more well known brand.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've always used 5w30 and I don't recall 5w20 being available. I only saw 5w30 and 10w30.

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts
I thought the 4.7L called for 5w20???
The HEMI requires 5w-20 because of the MDS system (Multi-Displacement System). It won't work properly without 5w-20 oil in it. However, I believe that starting with the 2008 model year all of the engines were to start using 5w-20.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Next oil change I'll try again and I'll reset the mpg on the computer. I didn't reset it when I did the last change that's how I know it dropped so much. I don't think my driving style has fluctuated that much to cause it do drop an entire mpg especially for the drop to remain consistent with the entire tank of gas. Ive bought the peak oil or my mother in laws ford explorer and I'll ask if she notices any differences as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts