Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have looked for a place to pass through wires for new driving lights mounted on the front, but not sure what am looking at, and where the wires would end up inside the cab? Any suggestions or even a picture or two would be helpful. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Have looked for a place to pass through wires for new driving lights mounted on the front, but not sure what am looking at, and where the wires would end up inside the cab? Any suggestions or even a picture or two would be helpful. Thanks.
@RBrink;

Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately I'm not in a position where I can go outside and take some pics for you because I'm out of the country right now.

But as someone who has added multiple lights & light bars and listening to what you've described, I'll mention a couple of things - and the most important question that has to be asked - which happens to be something you didn't mention.

First & foremost where the wires would end up inside the cab, will largely depend on how you are planning to wire the lights into your electrical system - and that is the biggest variable in this whole equation.

Are you wiring these lights to their own individual switch? Or are you going to try and wire them into the factory harness/wiring for the running lights?

The answer to this question will determine how you might want to try and approach the rest of the job.

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
When I added a wire for a MDS indicator I poked a small hole in the gromet just toward the center of the power steering master cylinder. It comes into the inside close to the brake pedal.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys. I have a wiring harness with the KC lights and a switch that I thought I would mount on the lower front panel. I am not sophisticated enough to tie it into the running lights. May have my mechanic advise me also.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Thanks Guys. I have a wiring harness with the KC lights and a switch that I thought I would mount on the lower front panel. I am not sophisticated enough to tie it into the running lights. May have my mechanic advise me also.
A separate switch is probably your best bet. There should be a wiring harness coming through the firewall in the vicinity of the steering wheel/brake pedal that you should be able to snake the wires through.

You should be able to mount your switch in this area:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hoop Step Side Bars

Having had my Commander for a few years I am noticing the increasing difficulty in locating after market parts for the aging buggy. In particular the side step bars are very limited which are made to fit a Commander, and many will not fit the models with the third row seats, i.e. third row cooling??? Therefore, does anyone know if the side bars, with hoop steps, are able to be fitted onto the Commanders such as found at runningboardwarehouse.com with perhaps modifying the attaching brackets or something. I don't want to turn a $400 side rail into a $1000 job.

Thanks

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts