Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So now that my XK has the proper rack& pinion in it and all is right in the world of steering, im turning to my attention to the slight vibration that ive had since ive purchased the jeep. It happens at about 70-75mph, sometimes feeling more severe than other times. Thought it was the tires, but when I put the new ones on when I lifted it it was the same. Ive rebalanced them anyway and stiff have it. Is there any reason I cant pull the front driveshaft and take it for a test ride to eliminate it a possible cause? Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Administrator
15,206 Posts
I answered about this problem for you in this thread---> http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19257 . Post #61.
The chrome clad wheels must be balanced using a machine that has "fingers" that fit into the lug holes. The most common machine for this is a Hunter Road Force balancer. If the center hole is used the wheel will not balance properly and the center hole may be damaged.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what was used, it had 5 fingers that went into the conical area of each lug.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
If you pull the front drive shaft the Jeep won't move. Trust me haha. Tried that before.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, any other way to diagnose this without buying all new axles and driveshaft?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Well I doubt its either your axles or drive shaft. Where is the vibration? Up front or in the rear and can you tell what side it is! Could be a bad bushing, wheel bearing, tire out of balance etc.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Vibration is at my feet, feels like drivers side. hubs are newish. Ive really started paying attention to it and Im wondering if Im feeling the vibration at a low speed as well, i thought it was engine lugging from shifting so early, I remember reading a TSB about #8 misfire causing a vibration that was thought to be suspension related. Hmmm not sure now

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Matt, yeah, that was me, Thats my buddys house. I parked it and went to go pick up a chopper he just bought. I should have left the keys, im sure you could figure where the vibration is. lol

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Surprised i haven't run into you more there. I'm right around the corner. Finished up my brakes yesterday and saw your XK on my test drive. I could've used you to help bleed the lines!

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Ok, any other way to diagnose this without buying all new axles and driveshaft?
You can throw my tires/wheels on and see if the vibe goes away. If its still there it rules them out.

If mine are too big, Steven (mrnavy) is supposed to be coming over next weekend so I can put brakes on his XK and change his trans fluid/filters; I'm sure he wouldnt mind you throwing his stockers on while I have his vehicle under the knife.

I also have a spare front driveshaft....

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That sucks. I would have helped in a heartbeat, nobody pumps a brake pedal like i do, lol. Ill be there tomorrow morning i think, Im going to bleed the brakes on my buddys chopper. It was sitting for a bit and the rear brake isnt pumping up. Stop by if you see the XK there, maybe you can drive my Jeep and tell me what you think about the vibration. LOL

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Somehow I totally missed your post about the tires and driveshaft. Maybe a good idea for you to drive it and tell me what you think. Have a good Easter, maybe we can hook up next weekend for a test drive. Thanks!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts