Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked this up for a while $4k with 185k miles. In really good shape and loaded up, there is literally no corrosion on anything underneath it.

Had a few small chips in the paint, but was easily fixed my having a little bottle of matched paint mixed at Napa. Tires were also bald.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Then I picked up a set of Rubicon Willy's wheels with 265/70r17 tires for $200 on Craiglist, tires are about 80% gone though. They bolted on with no spacers and did not rub at all, not even at full lock doing u-turns in either direction. Tire is very close to the upper ball joint stud though.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For the interior I installed my old lifetime Sirius box that I've had for 10 years, wired it into the rear DVD system RCA's.

This Sirius setup also has an AUX in, so I bought a little Monster Bluetooth unit so I can also stream music though it, or take phone calls as it has a mic. It was only $15 at Walmart.

I also bought a can of Duplicolor Chrysler paint to get rid of the hideous woodgrain in the interior, now it matches the exterior.

The REC unit showed no navigation disc so I bought one, had to help it load into it and it still says no disc and won't eject. Any ideas to fix this?

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Today I installed the Rocky Road 2.25" spacer lift.
I have also done the following over the last few days:

Changed front and rear differential fluids to Royal Purple 75w-140.

Changed engine oil to Royal Purple 5w-30 with a Mopar Filter.

Replaced the water pump and thermostat since I discovered a very small leak from the pump.

Changed the transfer case fluid with Mopar NV245.

Blacked out the chrome grille and chrome strip on the hatch.

Full LED bulb swap in the interior.

Buffed the headlights with polishing compound since they were so yellow.

I've been buying most the parts online from Advance Auto because they have a 25% off coupon code and you can just select to pickup in store 30 minutes later. I have Royal Purple ATF and filters for the trans, as well as a B&M add a drain plug kit but first I have to repair a small leak on the cooler line crimp by the radiator.

At this point my total investment is about $4800. ��

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
Looks good! I really love those dark colored seats, wish I had those!
Not sure what to tell you about the Nav disc tho...my XK has all the options also EXCEPT that head unit, so mine's aftermarket...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Today I replaced the actuator behind the dash for the HVAC door, had the infamous clicking behind the dash.

I also fixed the small leak on the transmission line by the radiator. Then I dropped the trans pan, replaced both filters, and added a drain plug to the pan for clean changes in the future. Filled with 7 quarts of Royal Purple Max ATF and appear to be about a quart short, so back to the store in the morning.

I also went ahead and left the clutch fan off of the water pump, I understand this is only to supplement the electric fan on tow package equipped vehicles. Therefore I will leave it off for better mileage and power. Takes 5 seconds to spin on if I decide to tow something.

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Nice Work!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Had an annoying clunk in the front end. Mostly on the driver side. Found the clevis bushing is worn and the rear lower control arm bushing was shot.

So I just went ahead and got new lower control arms for both sides as well as new sway bar endlinks for good measure.

I also replaced the spark plugs with NGK V-Power 2262's gapped at .040

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Niiiiiice find! :smile2: And good work too!

I just read that the "No Disc" thing could be a dirty lens? Using compressed air to clean out the tray might resolve the problem. If it won't eject, you may have to take it apart? I had to get into ours in our Yukon this summer because son jammed in 2 DVD's...there were 3 bolts, and it had a hanger to hold it from completely falling and a couple of harnesses to disconnect.

Or a non compatible/scratched disc?

Kind Regards,

Kemmer

·
Registered
225 Posts
All this time, I thought the "bolted" fender flares and grab handles on the back were marks of a Hemi powered Commander. Of course, it don't mean a thing, unless it is trail rated. That is the sole reason I got mine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Niiiiiice find! :smile2: And good work too!

I just read that the "No Disc" thing could be a dirty lens? Using compressed air to clean out the tray might resolve the problem. If it won't eject, you may have to take it apart? I had to get into ours in our Yukon this summer because son jammed in 2 DVD's...there were 3 bolts, and it had a hanger to hold it from completely falling and a couple of harnesses to disconnect.

Or a non compatible/scratched disc?

Kind Regards,

Kemmer
I'll look into that soon. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
All this time, I thought the "bolted" fender flares and grab handles on the back were marks of a Hemi powered Commander. Of course, it don't mean a thing, unless it is trail rated. That is the sole reason I got mine.
I'm pretty positive the rear handles were just an option. I think you may be onto something on the bolted fender flares though, maybe it's Quadra-drive II equipped Commanders only. Which most of those were Hemi, not often do you see QD-II and a 4.7L.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm pretty positive the rear handles were just an option. I think you may be onto something on the bolted fender flares though, maybe it's Quadra-drive II equipped Commanders only. Which most of those were Hemi, not often do you see QD-II and a 4.7L.
My understanding with all this is the grab handles, fender flares, chrome door trim strips and all the other nice, painted and chromed parts are all part of the Limited/Overland package which I believe defaults with the Trail Rated package and of course the Hemi engine. Essentially, NO basic black plastics- it's all replaced with chrome. Either way, I think iownedu is right about it still being an option you could have added on at the dealership. Someone who basically wanted the full Limited package without the Hemi engine...which considering all the other options you have is exactly what happened.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have now replaced the front sway bar bushings, as well as the top and bottom spring isolators in the rear. It raised the rear close to a 1/4" more by doing that.

I also ordered new 4 brake rotors and ceramic pads for it that will be here soon, cross drilled and slotted gold eBay specials.

I added some LED lights in the rear bumper that are tied into the reverse lights. Here are a couple pics, LED bulbs to replace the factory reverse bulbs will be here tomorrow so I haven't reinstalled the taillights.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts