Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just pulled the trigger on a purchase of an 08 Limited that was being used as a DEMO for the GM of the dealership. The dealer is in Michigan and I am in Illinois. They are driving it down to me tonight to sign the paperwork at one of their sister dealerships in my area. So...

I have never seen this Jeep in person. It is Black with Saddle Brown seats, tow, DVD, external package, 5.7 HEMI, Power Liftgate, Chrome wheels, MyGig Nav and Sirius TV. It has less than 7000 miles on it! I am told that it has no dings, scratches, and has never been in an accident.

My IMPORTANT question is, What should I be looking out for when checking it out before signing the papers? I'm concerned that since it was a demo that some goodie may be missing that I would have received if it was brand spanking new. For instance, I'd hate to go look for the remote in a week or 2 and find that it wasn't there.

So any help for a VERY excited soon-to-be Commander owner?

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I know of dealers who have these "DEMO" vehicles and they treat them like rental cars. Don't be afraid to flip up the seats and check all around for places that there may be missing panels or covers or plastic pieces. Push all the buttons before you sign the papers to make sure that everything functions properly. I'm sure you probably know all the basics about buying a "pre-owned" vehicle, just treat it like that even though it is new. Welcome and Congrats

·
Registered
452 Posts
I just pulled the trigger on a purchase of an 08 Limited that was being used as a DEMO for the GM of the dealership. The dealer is in Michigan and I am in Illinois. They are driving it down to me tonight to sign the paperwork at one of their sister dealerships in my area. So...

I have never seen this Jeep in person. It is Black with Saddle Brown seats, tow, DVD, external package, 5.7 HEMI, Power Liftgate, Chrome wheels, MyGig Nav and Sirius TV. It has less than 7000 miles on it! I am told that it has no dings, scratches, and has never been in an accident.

My IMPORTANT question is, What should I be looking out for when checking it out before signing the papers? I'm concerned that since it was a demo that some goodie may be missing that I would have received if it was brand spanking new. For instance, I'd hate to go look for the remote in a week or 2 and find that it wasn't there.

So any help for a VERY excited soon-to-be Commander owner?

Just be sure that you review the itemized equipments listed on the paperwork are all accounted for and confirmed w/ what's ON the vehicle. Also, factor in that the satellite subscription (when the vehicle is new or initially in service) only last for the first year 'free'. Since you're getting a Demo, this might of already been in use, and may be expiring in the near future, so ensure that gets straighten out.

Lastly, make sure the vehicle is completely detailed or cleaned up really well. I'd walked off the deal if they couldn't even do that for you :). Good luck and enjoy!

·
Super Moderator
15,105 Posts
Make sure you have the roof cross rails, 2 pair of headphones and 2 ignition keys. Also make sure you get the key code--you will need it if you ever need another key.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Agree with the "rental" statement... if you've ever see these dealership people drive these cars, you know what I mean. Lots of abusive treatment, similar to "pep" cars at the Big 3.

I'd sure like to save $$$ and buy pre-owned, but it's such a roll-of-the-dice I just can't get myself to do it. Hope you don't get burned.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Go over it and ensure everything works as it should. I can tell you that my 06 XK was a demo and I have not had any problems with it. Perhaps I got lucky, but I thought I should share my positive "demo purchase" experience.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Also make sure it hasn't been smoked in, that's another caveat to the "rental car" statement.

·
Registered
230 Posts
agree with almost all of the above - 2 keys, sirius subscription and roof rails, but look it over. If it truly was a GM of the dealership, you probably shouldn't worry, they aren't 12 year olds who beat the crap out of the cars. I picked up mine as a Demo as the GM's wife's car! The Jeep was spotless, but I did lose out on 6 months of Sirius Radio since it was already activiated. Welcome aboard and congrats!

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Make sure you have the roof cross rails, 2 pair of headphones and 2 ignition keys. Also make sure you get the key code--you will need it if you ever need another key.
This was on the list of things I would ask about.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts