Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
more pics

camera5.jpeg
Sirius display
camer4.jpeg
IPOD cable routed to pocket above glove box

All mods were done by me. Feel free to ask any questions.
I originally had the stock single disc radio. I ordered the nav dash bezel from justforjeeps.com. All other equipment was ordered from Crutchfield.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Nice job, its looks good!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I imagine I could have mounted it on the liftgate but it's only held in place with a magnet (too much movement). My Jeep came with the crossrails. I'll probably never use them and being that the antenna is a magnet it can be moved easily. I get great reception from where it is now. As a matter of fact I test drove a 2007 and had a 2008 as a rental both of which had factory mounted satellite antennas. And both had terrible interference when driving around town. I'm very pleased with the unit I installed.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Great Job! where did you installed the camera? and pictures please!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The camera is mounted under the liftgate handle. Left of the license plate frame. Can you not open the attachment?
camera1.jpeg

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
Looks good, but I would have hidden the camera higher up under that lip. Have you seen the factory rear camera locations on Toyota/Lexus or Mercedes SUVs? You should be able to do something similar.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know, I would have liked it recessed into the lip as well and I might still do that. But I would need to cut into the lip and we have a tendancy to get rid of our vehicles every 2 to 3 years. If that happens I'll keep the upgrades and put the stock stuff back.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On my Pioneer one wire hooks to red(acc 12v+), one to ground, and an RCA cable to the head unit. Most cameras come with aprox 20 feet of line. My head unit has a wire going to the vehicle's reverse wire. The camera comes on automatically when car is in reverse but can also be switched on at the head unit (for viewing while towing). Most cameras come with a diagram of different types of wiring.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Some questions

Your install looks great, lo79484. I'm about to start on a very similar upgrade and I also have an 07 Commander with the REF single-disc radio. I hope you can answer a couple questions.

What wiring harnesses did you use? Specifically, did you use a C2R-CHY, a CHTO-01, or something else? Part of what I'm trying to figure out is whether I need to use the C2R-CHY with pre-amp outputs or bypass the factory amp with something like the Metra 70-6504 harness. (With the stock REF radio, I'm not even sure I *have* a separate factor amp!)

What model rear-view camera did you choose? Are you happy with the picture quality, even at night?

BTW, my plan is to put in a Kenwood DNX7100 DVD/Nav with the KCA-BT100 Bluetooth adapter and a rear-view camera. Headrest monitors will come later when I save up again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thank you. Mine didn't have a separate amp. I don't think yours does either. I ordered everything through Crutchfield. They set me up with a Metra xsvi-6502 harness adapter as well as an antenna adapter. I still had to find and splice into the speed sensor and reverse wires (both in the engine compartment). My camera is a JVC kv-cm1k. Picture quality is good at day and at night. I mounted it a little too close to the license plate light so I get a little glare on one side at night.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello. I'm new to the forum just bought my Commander 2 weeks ago. I was looking into getting the same Pioneer AVI D3 Nav system but everywhere I go on-line the head unit is listed as "not fitting" in the Commander. Where there any special mods or installation kit that you needed to make the unit fit?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
c verano said:
Hello. I'm new to the forum just bought my Commander 2 weeks ago. I was looking into getting the same Pioneer AVI D3 Nav system but everywhere I go on-line the head unit is listed as "not fitting" in the Commander. Where there any special mods or installation kit that you needed to make the unit fit?

Thanks
If you have a 2006 or 2007 you would need a navigation dash bezel and then a surround for the actual unit (2006 and 2007's navigation was larger than dual DIN). If you have a 2008 then it should be a direct fit into the factory navigation bezel.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts