Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, just some pics of my Commander from when I was at my family's cabin in WV for our annual hunting trip. It's about a 1/4 mile dirt road into the cabin and it had snowed/rained the night before so it was a bit sloppy. Because of the garbage Forteras I was slippin and sliding all over the place.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are decent for ONLY for a decent highway ride and good dry/wet on-road conditions. On dry trails with limited rocks/obsticles they would be ok also. ANY mud, snow/ice and they fail miserably. They are basically intended to give the soccer moms a good ride while circling the malls.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Fortera

They are decent tires, but his tires are covered with leaves.

Stuck to. You would need more agressive tread to keep leaves from sticking. When you compare driving in mud vs driving on ice. You go the mud, and slide on ice.

Good pics and nice looking ride!

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
UberCommander said:
I think you are going to slide with Silent Armors too. They are a great tire, but they need more bite.
The Wrangler Silent Armor (not the Fortera Silent Armors) have plenty of bite. In the Goodyear SUV tire lineup, they are rated at the top for snow traction, they are only rated under the MTRs for off-road traction, and only below the Fortera TripleTreads for wet traction.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think a better tire Jeep could have gone with and still maintained the ever desired "soccer-mom ride quality" would have been the Fortera TripleTreds. They at least have a much better tread design, but are still tame.

Fortera HL

Fortera TipleTred

Now if I has my way and was running good old Jeep, all non rubicon Jeeps would come standard with BFG AT K/Os

Mmmm, now those are some lovely meats!

I think I remember someone on this board that put on the 245/75/17 AT K/Os without a lift or spacers, and had no issues at all. I can't remember who it was though.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Looks like you need mud terrains!
Great pics!:D

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
UberCommander said:
what website are you using for your ratings?
Goodyear's (hence why I only compared it to other Goodyears). I have Wrangler Silent Armors on my both my Commander and Cherokee and they handle great in all situations... snow, mud, off-road, rain slicked freeways, dry roads. The Cherokee has been off-roaded in a lot tougher stuff than 98% of all Commanders will end being driven (not saying they couldn't go... just most owners wouldn't subject it to that kind of abuse).

·
Registered
456 Posts
Good pics - I agree with you on the weak offroad capability of the forteras.
Go to tirerack.com they have ratings and reviews on almost every tire they have. The forteras are rated best for street driving as you guys said before. The goodyear silent armors and the bridgestone revos are on top I believe. My next tire is the REVO, I like Bridgestone a lot and the tread patern looks sweet.

·
Registered
476 Posts
TR4Runner said:
I thought the Forteras were supposed to be decent tires?
Fortera's SUCK! JEEP should be ashamed of marrying such a lousy tire to this sweet machine! Just goes to show you that they (Chrysler) really do not know their audiance! :eek:

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Tristan said:
I think a better tire Jeep could have gone with and still maintained the ever desired "soccer-mom ride quality" would have been the Fortera TripleTreds. They at least have a much better tread design, but are still tame.
It all comes down to price: the HL's are less expensive and most drivers will never know the difference.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I dont think it is the tires that was the problem. From the looks of it you have a v-6 commander. I could be wrong but if it is then that is where your problem is, not the tires. If you had the v-8 you would have the Quadra Trac II which would have been a lot better then that full time 4x4 in the mud!

EDIT: I just noticed that you have a trail rated badge on the commander. Doesnt that mean it has to be a v-8. If so then i guess it is the tires!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes, it's a V8 and QTII. When I was stuck in the mud there the 4wd even in low range did nothing. How many tires you have "spinning" doesn't matter if they can't get a bit on anything because they either have insufficient tread or don't clear.

I think in 2006 the only way to get QTII was to get the V8. At least I couldn't find any 2006 QTII V6s in the state of NJ. In 2007 they changed it so you can get the QTII on a V6. Looking back on it now, I'm really glad I did get the 8.

·
Registered
807 Posts
07JeepXK said:
I dont think it is the tires that was the problem. From the looks of it you have a v-6 commander. I could be wrong but if it is then that is where your problem is, not the tires. If you had the v-8 you would have the Quadra Trac II which would have been a lot better then that full time 4x4 in the mud!

EDIT: I just noticed that you have a trail rated badge on the commander. Doesnt that mean it has to be a v-8. If so then i guess it is the tires!

This might be the craziest thing i have read on this wed site....The V8 QT2wont help you if have no tread on your tires. MORE power is NOTHING if you have no traction.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts