Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i'd like to lift my xk and push the tires out with a set of Cragar Soft 8s, but i'm undecided if a taller tire is worth the trouble that goes along with it. does anyone have any pics of a lifted commander with stock size tires? preferably with some ATs or MTs, but any pic is appreciated. i've seen one or two, but i'm trying to decide if it looks too goofy keeping the tires at 245/65 with a taller stance and more fender room. there are advantages to this setup, but looks are important too ;)

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I'm now running 245/75R17 without spacers , no rubbing at all. They will give an extra inch in overall height and the only issue is the speedo is now about 3mph off.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm now running 245/75R17 without spacers , no rubbing at all. They will give an extra inch in overall height and the only issue is the speedo is now about 3mph off.
i can live with 3mph, but how was your mpg affected? that's one of my big concerns with larger tires. a few mpg adds up quick and those tires become very expensive over the life of 50k miles. and since i'm not playing in the dirt everyday, i have to think about my pavement cruising too. also, how did larger tires affect your acceleration and performance? any lag issues, funny shifting, or higher cruising rpms?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I cant say accurately, maybe a little loss in mpg, ( 10 to 15 miles per tank ? ) not enough to even complain about. I have the V6 so the acceleration never was immense but there is no noticeable difference there either. I dont keep track of the mpg on a regular basis. If I was to take it on a long trip I would but then I would probably drive my Altima.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
tough call. i like both looks. the difference between the tire sizes is very slight but side-by side it's noticeable. i think if the stock tires were replaced with ATs or MTs in the same size, they'd look just as kick-ass with the 2" lift as the slightly larger size. anyone have any photos of stock size ATs or MTs with the 2" lift? i'm wondering if the tire's tread pattern makes a bigger difference than it's diameter...

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
tough call. i like both looks. the difference between the tire sizes is very slight but side-by side it's noticeable. i think if the stock tires were replaced with ATs or MTs in the same size, they'd look just as kick-ass with the 2" lift as the slightly larger size. anyone have any photos of stock size ATs or MTs with the 2" lift? i'm wondering if the tire's tread pattern makes a bigger difference than it's diameter...
I agree with you on this. I haven't seen any with a lift and new tires that weren't larger, everyone seems to go bigger when they go newer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts