Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a small area in town right off the road. I think it is supposed to be closed to motorized vehicles but I have a Jeep so it's okay, right? :rolleyes:

Coming down. I went up in the video at the bottom.

You can see how I am using just the edge of the right side tires.

Clearance shot.

It is just as steep going down as it was up. I know, dirty windshield.

http://video.tinypic.com/player.php?s=2&v=126ahcn

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
I love it. Looks like fun, can't wait to get back off the road!

·
Registered
451 Posts
Dirty windshield??? Dirty undercarriage too!!!!
Just kidding!!!
Oh you should have had your seatbelt on too!

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was waiting for the seatbelt comment! I had been jumping in and out taking pictures.

I can assure you I put my seatbelt on before I got back on the road.

If you listen close, you can hear what I think is the clutch pack in the QT1 drive trane engaging to turn the front wheels. The first time I ever heard it, it scared me just a little. Now I know it is just doing its job.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I am playing like that, I down shift to first gear and just take it slow.

It's not four wheel low but I figure taking it easy will allow the 4WD to take care of me.

I will add power slowly and as needed to keep forward motion.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I listened a few times but didn't hear anything...... Seatbelt chime and maybe some stuff rattling around the passanger compartment. I would guess its QT1 at work....

·
Registered
807 Posts
I heard the QT1. I have it too and its the first thing i noticed in your video. I was that same way they first time i went off road with mine. i thought i broke it the first time, but thats just the way it sounds. I found out that if you are going to be in some really bad stuff, stay in 2nd or 1st gears and shut off the ESP stuff. I got stuck climbing up a hill in the mud because i was in too high of a gear and it seem like it couldn't, or wouldn't shift down -- it basically powered out; also i think the ESP takes away from your 4WD when you are in really greasy stuff.Its awesome for slick hightways, but not for the fields. I shut that off and shifted down and was able to get my self out after a second try. I really miss low range, like in my Grand cherokee with select-trac, but shifting the QT1 in to 1st is a quick fix to make up for it....its not perfect but will get you by. I didnt think my QT1 was very good at first, but i have gotten used to it by now. Its almost like you have to learn a new way of driving, compaired to the other 4wd types.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts