Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a few pictures today of the new rig with the old XJ. After running my Cherokee into the ground (242,000 miles) through high school and college I started searching for a new ride. Test drove the Wranglers and Liberties as well as used HEMI Commanders and new 2008 sports. After driving the Commander I knew that was the Jeep for me. I sure have enjoyed the Commander but look forward every day to lifting and getting new tires. It is time to sell the XJ for a few bucks that it is worth and wanted some pictures of the Jeeps 19 years apart.

Old School

Jeeps old and new

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Cool pics, the Cherokee definitely served you well.

As for a lift, if you can wait & save up the money, get the 4" Superlift with the AEV module for the ESP system, you won't regret it. That's what I'm doing in the near future, the 2" lift just isn't enough for me.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Nice side-to-side pics :) ,,, you seem to like the silver color

Your Commander with Quadra-Drive II, Quadra-Trac II or Quadra-Trac I ?

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
great before and after pics. really shows were concept of the commander came from.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I do like the silver. Also it was the XK available after two weeks of negotiating with three Jeep dealerships on price through email. Quadra-Trac II

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
The Quadra-Trac II system is really nice. It will serve you well!

Good looking ride. I had a Cherokee a long time ago when I lived in Nederland, CO. Good rigs...

·
Registered
451 Posts
Wow. I never saw them side by side like that. I can't get over how similiar they are.
I also cannot believe that after 19 years there is no rust on the XJ!! It still looks great.
Nice Pics. Thanks for sharing! You will love The XK!

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Good stuff. I'll be selling my 2" BDS lift soon (within the next 60 days), if you want to go that route. :)

Nice pictures. Good to see them side by side.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Nice XJ. I've got one with 237K on it, and its still ticking! A little oil leak and rust, and the passenger door handles only open from the outside, but it's served my family well over the past 6 years. My father-in-law drove it while he was out of work for a couple of years and put a 2" lift and Pirelli Scorpion AT tires on... here it its...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice XJ you have there. Yes it sure is amazing the longevity of the old XJs. Sure people get there Hondas and Toyotas up high in the mileage but my old XJ was put through lots of abuse that corollas don't take. I used it for many years in high school pulling a heavy trailer for landscaping jobs and had it on trails it didn't belong on stock. Original motor and tranny and almost to quarter of million miles. Mine does leak quite a bit of oil from various locations. I hope to sell it to another high school kid who just needs to get around town and who likes to work a bit on cars. Thanks for sharing your pic.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yeah, I had two Acura's before the XJ and XK, and they had over 400k combined, but could not do the offroading and hauling the jeeps can do. I see alot of people in my area driving Cherokees; probably see at least a few a day...

I considered selling the XJ, but I'm using it to deliver for my wife's pizza shop; works well in the winter, and for those people who have difficult driveways...! I'm just going to hang on to it for the duration... I will probably do the same for the Commander as well.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
Those older Cherokees are known to be pretty much bulletproof. They run forever... kinda like the really old Dodge Darts. There's a lady at work who has by far the most mint Cherokee I've ever seen. The black paints looks brand new and she claims it has the original paint. She's the original owner, so I guess she should know...

BTW, I like how your license plates look like negatives of each other.

·
Registered
69 Posts
OK. maybe I spoke too soon. I went to start my Cherokee tonight, and it was pretty sluggish starting. Then a little while later, it wouldn't start at all. Battery seems OK, but won't turn over at all... Bad starter?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yep I was torn between Black and Silver too as far as color. The decision got made for me when the dealerships I was negotiating didn't have a 5-passenger in black. There are pros and cons to each. Black looks amazing when clean but a little dust and afternoon rain showers and it doesn't look quite as nice. The silver seems to not show the dirt as bad.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
6 foot 3 actually. I like putting the seat all the way back. Lots of room and I bet someone 7 foot could ride nicely in the Commander.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts